Category Manager - Dairy & Bakery
Careem is building ‘the everything app’ for the greater Middle East, making it easier than ever to move around, order food and groceries, manage payments, and more. Careem is led by a powerful purpose to simplify and improve the lives of people and build an awesome organisation that inspires. Since 2012, Careem has created earnings for over 2.5 million Captains, simplified the lives of over 50 million customers, and built a platform for the region’s best talent to thrive and for entrepreneurs to scale their businesses. Careem operates in over 70 cities across 10 countries, from Morocco to Pakistan.
About the team
Careem Grocery is on a mission to reinvent the way people shop for grocery, pharmacy and retail products. As an exciting new vertical within Careem (a startup within a startup), we’re in the early stages of building our product and have plenty of interesting and fundamental challenges to solve in order to achieve our ambitious growth goals in this burgeoning space.
What you'll do
As a Category Manager, you’ll be responsible for driving our strategies on assortment by defining our selection by store and working with other teams on sourcing, pricing and promotions across our markets. This is a unique role with the opportunity to create genuine impact for the lives of everyday people in our region. We’re looking for someone with food and/or grocery industry experience, ideally in one or more of the following categories: Fresh products, Dairy & Cheese, Bread and Bakery etc.
- Identify key consumer trends in online grocery /Q-commerce business
- Work with the Head of Commercial on defining an actionable strategy for Category Management (assortment, category hierarchy, pricing and promotions) based on Careem Grocery commercial strategy and guidelines
- Strive to continuously update and maintain assortment strategies to reflect market trends, local needs and preferences based on data-driven analysis
- Ensure that we have an updated assortment based on the Commercial team recommendations
- Work with the BD team to buy and manage assortment by sourcing the best items and brands possible in order to provide the best experience for our customers
- Work across categories, with different internal category stakeholders, including food & non food products
- Collaborate with various functions including commercial, supply chain and store operations teams
- Help to create smooth logistical relationships with Supply Chain and Suppliers.
What you'll need
Successful candidates will have a passionate commitment to improving the lives of people, an insane focus on excellence and customer centricity, and a strong alignment with our core values and purpose.
- At least 4+ years of experience in the Food or Grocery/Fresh sector in Buying or Category Management . Time spent in tech or a start-up is a plus
- A strong understanding of the Middle East grocery/convenience market/hypermarket/supermarket and a willingness to disrupt the way it currently operates
- Experience negotiating with business development partners, FMCG or brand owners. You will be proactively reaching out to brands to build a partnership.
- You are an excellent communicator with strong influencing skills and stellar stakeholder management – You can easily explain complex concepts to people of any level
- Grittiness. You never hesitate to roll up your sleeves and address something hands-on, you persevere when others fall away
What we'll provide you
In addition to a competitive long-term total compensation with salary and equity, we have a reward philosophy that expands beyond this. As a Careem colleague you will be able to:
- Be part of a Remote-First organization that offers flexible ways of working from the office and home.
- Work from any country in the world for 30 days a year
- Use Unlimited Vacation days throughout the year
- Access fitness reimbursements for health activities including: gym, health club and training classes.
- Work and learn from great minds
- Create impact in a region with untapped potential
- Explore new opportunities to learn and grow every day
Something looks off?