Risk Policy & Strategy Manager
Careem is building ‘the everything app’ for the greater Middle East, making it easier than ever to move around, order food and groceries, manage payments, and more. Careem is led by a powerful purpose to simplify and improve the lives of people and build an awesome organisation that inspires. Since 2012, Careem has created earnings for over 2.5 million Captains, simplified the lives of over 50 million customers, and built a platform for the region’s best talent to thrive and for entrepreneurs to scale their businesses. Careem operates in over 70 cities across 10 countries, from Morocco to Pakistan.
About the team
At Risk & Business integrity we use data science, analytics and specialized domain knowledge to prevent fraud and financial crime across Careem super app. You will join a diverse and dynamic cross-functional group whose mission is to minimise losses to Careem, its customers and partners, while enabling a smooth experience - for legitimate customers.
About the role
- Drive Careem business integrity and fraud prevention strategy for a given business domain (such as ride-hailing, food delivery, or payments) across the MENA region.
- Effectively collaborate with business lines to prioritise a portfolio of trust-augmenting projects and initiatives.
- Actively drive consensus and concrete outcomes, considering trade-offs, optimising for both loss control and customer experience.
- Optimize risk actions and processes to achieve highest customer acceptance while minimizing fraud.
- Develop robust integrity and risk controls, processes and tools, through successful collaboration with data, product, engineering and operations teams.
- Create data-driven strategies to prevent or manage fraudulent activities such as payment fraud, incentive abuse, fake orders, account take-over, collusion schemes and syndicated attacks.
- Perform research (either directly or in collaboration with data scientists and analysts) to identify such fraudulent behaviors and implement actions such as machine learning models and heuristic rules.
- Own all policy and procedure work for the domain area, and input into relevant documentation across other business lines.
- Perform management reporting for the domain, in a clear, concise and data driven manner.
- Keep abreast of fraud prevention and detection techniques, methods, as well as market solutions and innovations. Act as subject matter expert towards the rest of the risk team as well as other company functions such as product and business development.
What you'll need
- Problem-solving, positive and constructive attitude is a must.
- Comfort in dealing with ambiguity and operating in a fast-changing super app environment.
- Ability to synthesise large amounts of unstructured information and generate short, crystal clear and actionable insights.
- Excellent verbal and written communication in English, in a clear and concise manner.
- Meticulous attention to detail, structured and data-driven.
- Advanced knowledge and experience in risk, fraud prevention, business integrity or trust capacity covering at least one Careem business vertical (payments, ride-hailing, food delivery).
- Hands-on experience with risk tools such as scoring models, rules engines, identity verification and related market solutions.
- Knowledge of credit card scheme rules and banking processes is a plus.
What we’ll provide you
In addition to a competitive long-term total compensation with salary and equity, we have a reward philosophy that expands beyond this. As a Careem colleague you will be able to:
- Be part of a Remote-First organization that offers flexible ways of working from the office and home.
- Work from any country in the world for 30 days a year
- Use Unlimited Vacation days throughout the year
- Access fitness reimbursements for health activities including: gym, health club and training classes.
- Work and learn from great minds
- Create impact in a region with untapped potential
- Explore new opportunities to learn and grow every day
Something looks off?