Associate Director - Government Relations
Careem is building ‘the everything app’ for the greater Middle East, making it easier than ever to move around, order food and groceries, manage payments, and more. Careem is led by a powerful purpose to simplify and improve the lives of people and build an awesome organisation that inspires. Since 2012, Careem has created earnings for over 2.5 million Captains, simplified the lives of over 50 million customers, and built a platform for the region’s best talent to thrive and for entrepreneurs to scale their businesses. Careem operates in over 70 cities across 10 countries, from Morocco to Pakistan.
Careem Rides is a leading technology platform for the greater Middle East and a pioneer of the region’s ride-hailing economy. Careem’s mission is to simplify and improve the lives of people and build a lasting institution that inspires. Established in July 2012, Careem operates in more than 120 cities across 15 countries and has created more than one million job opportunities in the region. Our ambition is to be globally recognized as the most valued and trusted digital platform for our region – partnering with governments to build the digital backbone for our markets and citizens.
Careem Rides is looking for an Associate Director of Government Relations & Public Policy to drive our corporate affairs and public policy agenda and build sustainable long-term regulatory frameworks for our businesses, customers, captains and government partners. This is a senior role at the region’s largest technology company and platform.
The role is Dubai based but will require frequent travel and reports into the Director - Public Policy Middle East and Africa at Uber. The Associate Director of Government Relations will also work closely with the General Managers that drive business growth, as well as cross functional colleagues in Dubai and across all our markets.
This role has significant impact on key operational metrics including, quite simply, the company’s ability to generate and grow revenue in through existing and future products, services, and operations. Our regulatory and policy agenda is highly innovative in that we are working with government partners to build win-win regulatory and policy frameworks for the mobility of people.
What you'll do:
- Develop, in coordination with the Careem Rides CEO, GMs of key markets, Director of Public Policy MEA and other senior business leaders, winning strategies for Careem’s successful engagement with Government entities at the national, provincial and occasionally municipal levels.
- Work closely with the GMs and other senior business leaders to directly engage government stakeholders and successfully build relationships and advocate for Careem’s interests with decision makers.
- Persistent follow up with government bureaucrats to ensure support from top-level government officials translates into quick favorable action at the civil servant level.
- Maintain detailed and accurate records of Careem’s engagements with governments, including weekly reports on actions taken, an up-to-date stakeholder map for each province, a detailed value at stake matrix as well as other tools and trackers.
- Lead the development of persuasive position papers and presentations that explain Careem’s regulatory and policy objectives to policy makers.
- Develop and maintain strong, trust-based relationships with Ministries, regulators, and other Government and non-government bodies at the Minister, Director General, Advisor, civil servant and enforcement levels.
- Track regulatory and political developments utilising both formal and informal sources of information to proactively identify threats to and opportunities for Careem.
- Advise senior business leaders up to and including the CEO with clear, concise and actionable insights on the political and regulatory environments across the region and what they mean for Careem.
What you'll need:
- Ideally you would have at least 8 years experience working with institutions and government officials, and understanding and handling policy issues, but we will consider less experience if you meet our other requirements
- Experience developing the regulatory infrastructure for highly regulated industries and be comfortable coping with complex legal and political topics
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills in English and Arabic with a proven track record to engage policy concepts with diverse partners is essential
- Private sector experience, especially in a multinational context, is a plus
- Energetic and tenacious self-starter with an inner drive to proactively engage and follow up relentlessly to drive impact rather than output
- Attention to detail, ability to think creatively and establish positions that benefit the company and its government partners
- Exceptional organisational skills and the ability to simultaneously manage multiple complex projects in a fast-paced, high-stakes environment
What we'll provide you
In addition to a competitive long-term total compensation with salary and equity, we have a reward philosophy that expands beyond this. As a Careem colleague you will be able to:
- Be part of a Remote-First organization that offers flexible ways of working from the office and home.
- Work from any country in the world for 30 days a year
- Use Unlimited Vacation days throughout the year
- Access fitness reimbursements for health activities including: gym, health club and training classes.
- Work and learn from great minds
- Create impact in a region with untapped potential
- Explore new opportunities to learn and grow every day
Something looks off?