Software Engineering Manager
Careem is building ‘the everything app’ for the greater Middle East, making it easier than ever to move around, order food and groceries, manage payments, and more. Careem is led by a powerful purpose to simplify and improve the lives of people and build an awesome organisation that inspires. Since 2012, Careem has created earnings for over 2.5 million Captains, simplified the lives of over 50 million customers, and built a platform for the region’s best talent to thrive and for entrepreneurs to scale their businesses. Careem operates in over 70 cities across 10 countries, from Morocco to Pakistan.
About the role
We are looking for a Software Engineering Manager to lead our team of talented engineers that share a common interest in distributed backend systems, their scalability, and continued development. You will partner with engineering leaders across Careem to ensure strong execution and address new engineering opportunities at hand.
You will be responsible for maintaining some of our services that power the Careem engine, scaling highly distributed systems, and continuously documenting and improving our engineering practices. These large-scale, distributed systems handle the entire Careem platform from user requests to payment processing.
At Careem, the mission for the Satellite Engineering program is to help grow our new joint Engineering by learning how to write Clean Code, use SOLID principle techniques, and design reliable systems. The ultimate goal is to train the new Engineers to build Engineering excellence foundations with high standards. Our Programme covers all the areas of Careem tech be it Information Security, Data, Infrastructure, and all the Software Engineering tracks like Backend, Frontend as well as Mobile.
What you'll do:
- Lead a team of software engineers in implementing high quality services including design, development, and deployment of new business functionality.
- Plan and allocate available talent to meet engineering objectives. Interacts with engineering leaders, customers and peers to share information and improve cross-departmental processes.
- Assist your teams in developing roadmaps for system and product growth, then identify, plan, and execute projects to support that growth
- Strong ability to coach developers, helping them improve their skills and grow their careers
- Create a sense of community with the team members to support them in their growth journey
- Experience solving large-scale engineering challenges
- Encourages and supports others to take on responsibility, authority, and accountability.
- Keeping the engineering level of engagement high
What you'll need:
- You have strong software engineering skills with strong competencies in data structures, algorithms, software design and OOP
- Working knowledge of at least one of these Java, C++, Python, .NET
- Deep understanding of how to build scalable distributed systems
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience.
- You’ll have several years of serving in either an engineering management role or a senior engineering team lead role.
- You’re a leader who is passionate about growing talent.
- Demonstrate ability to run and improve technical development processes.
Where you'll be:
- Even though we are working remotely, we are strong believers in collaboration and the power of building social connections with our teams. For that reason, our offices are still open and provide plenty of collaboration-friendly spaces at times when teams need it or if you need a quiet space to work outside of home.
- You’ll be working in the location you’re hired from. Due to legal and compensation considerations, you will need to be based out of the country you’re hired from as your primary work location.
What we’ll provide you
In addition to a competitive long-term total compensation with salary and equity, we have a reward philosophy that expands beyond this. As a Careem colleague you will be able to:
- Be part of a Remote-First organization that offers flexible ways of working from the office and home.
- Work from any country in the world for 30 days a year
- Use Unlimited Vacation days throughout the year
- Access fitness reimbursements for health activities including: gym, health club and training classes.
- Work and learn from great minds
- Create impact in a region with untapped potential
- Explore new opportunities to learn and grow every day
Something looks off?