Staff Site Reliability Engineer I
Careem is building the Everything App for the greater Middle East, making it easier than ever to move around, order food and groceries, manage payments, and more. Careem is led by a powerful purpose to simplify and improve the lives of people and build an awesome organisation that inspires. Since 2012, Careem has created earnings for over 2.5 million Captains, simplified the lives of over 50 million customers, and built a platform for the region’s best talent to thrive and for entrepreneurs to scale their businesses. Careem operates in over 70 cities across 10 countries, from Morocco to Pakistan.
About the team
The team focuses on enabling persistence storage technologies and taking cloud-native technology to the next level within Careem to help shape the future of the Careem Platform and to help us scale our already sizable effort greatly.
What you'll do
As an engineer in Careem, you'll build and maintain Kafka clusters and its corresponding ecosystem required to ensure resilience, reliability, and scalability of our services and speed up deployments with the aim of improving our products used by millions of customers every day. Key responsibilities include:
- Make an impact from the design phase, through the development and operation of the Storage cluster and its ecosystem on AWS
- Build support, tooling and create technical processes that simplify and enable engineers across multiple services
- Identifying and automating and scaling systems without compromising on security and reliability
- Participate in on-call rotations and help improve incident response
What you'll need
- 7+ years of related experience
- Expertise and experience in developing, operating, and troubleshooting Storage clusters and/or other highly available systems at scale
- Experience of running Kafka on Kubernetes
- Good experience of one or more programming languages: Go, Python, Java, Groovy, Scala, Ruby.
- Experience with Cloud Infrastructure (AWS preferred)
- Experience with infrastructure automation (Infrastructure as Code)
- Strong Unix or Linux background, including topics around network stack and scripting
- Incident response and/or incident management experience is a plus
- Experience in other automation topics such as monitoring, CI/CD, and security is a plus
What we’ll provide you
We offer colleagues the opportunity to drive impact in the region while they learn and grow. As a Careem colleague you will be able to:
- Work and learn from great minds by joining a community of inspiring colleagues.
- Put your passion to work in a purposeful organisation dedicated to creating impact in a region with a lot of untapped potential.
- Explore new opportunities to learn and grow every day.
- Enjoy the flexibility that comes with the trust of being an owner; work in a hybrid style with a mix of days at the office and at home, and remotely from any country in the world for 30 days a year with unlimited vacation days per year.
- Access to healthcare benefits and fitness reimbursements for health activities including: gym, health club and training classes.