Legal Counsel - Regulatory & Commercial
Careem is building the Everything App for the greater Middle East, making it easier than ever to move around, order food and groceries, manage payments, and more. Careem is led by a powerful purpose to simplify and improve the lives of people and build an awesome organisation that inspires. Since 2012, Careem has created earnings for over 2.5 million Captains, simplified the lives of over 50 million customers, and built a platform for the region’s best talent to thrive and for entrepreneurs to scale their businesses. Careem operates in over 70 cities across 10 countries, from Morocco to Pakistan.
About the Role
As a legal counsel you will be coordinating with the team lead, advising on several commercial and regulatory matters pertaining to Careem Pay (Careem’s payment business) in the MENA region.
What you'll do
- Conduct Commercial contract reviews, including drafting, reviewing and negotiating agreements with business partners, vendors and customers.
- Provide legal advice and guidance to stakeholders, management, and business units on various legal matters to ensure compliance with laws and regulations, especially with regard to payment and financial services.
- Conduct legal research on financial regulations across the MENA region.
- Draft customer-facing legal documents for Careem Pay’s new and existing financial products.
- Manage interactions and collaborating with external counsels as necessary.
- Identify potential legal risks and liabilities faced by Careem and develop strategies to minimize those risks.
- Promote ethical and compliant conduct in line with Careem’s policies and values.
What you'll need
- A law degree from a reputable university with excellent academic credentials.
- Active bar membership, preferably in a common law jurisdiction. Dual admission in a second jurisdiction is a plus, particularly if it is from a MENA country.
- Fluent in English (spoken and written); Arabic is a strong plus.
- Minimum of 4 years of work experience post qualification/admission to bar/law society.
- Knowledgeable about the regulatory landscape relating to payments and financial services in at least one MENA country, preferably UAE and/or KSA.
- Excellent contract analysis, inspection, and drafting skills.
- Excellent negotiation, communication, and interpersonal skills, with the ability to communicate complex legal matters to non-legal stakeholders clearly.
- Ability of working comfortably with shifting priorities and fast-paced environments.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
What we’ll provide you
We offer colleagues the opportunity to drive impact in the region while they learn and grow. As a Careem colleague you will be able to:
- Work and learn from great minds by joining a community of inspiring colleagues.
- Put your passion to work in a purposeful organisation dedicated to creating impact in a region with a lot of untapped potential.
- Explore new opportunities to learn and grow every day.
- Enjoy the flexibility that comes with the trust of being an owner; work in a hybrid style with a mix of days at the office and at home, and remotely from any country in the world for 30 days a year with unlimited vacation days per year.
- Access to healthcare benefits and fitness reimbursements for health activities including: gym, health club and training classes.