Associate Director - Strategy & Planning
Careem is building the Everything App for the greater Middle East, making it easier than ever to move around, order food and groceries, manage payments, and more. Careem is led by a powerful purpose to simplify and improve the lives of people and build an awesome organisation that inspires. Since 2012, Careem has created earnings for over 2.5 million Captains, simplified the lives of over 50 million customers, and built a platform for the region’s best talent to thrive and for entrepreneurs to scale their businesses. Careem operates in over 70 cities across 10 countries, from Morocco to Pakistan.
Careem Pay’s purpose is to empower people to lead better lives by simplifying their payment experiences and access to financial services. Its vision is to become the leading digital financial services platform of the region serving consumers, captains and merchants.
As an early-stage start-up within Careem, we are looking to build a team of energized, start-up-minded and ambitious colleagues who are super excited about the massive fintech opportunity in the region.
What you'll do:
- Strategy development: drive our strategy: what we want to do, when we want to do it, how and where, including:
- Overseeing market/industry studies to continuously monitor and analyse competitor business models and product portfolios
- Developing analytical and conceptual frameworks to help leadership prioritise potential strategic initiatives and new sub-business/products
- Identifying new/emerging use cases that Careem Pay should consider and developing the business case and commercial strategy for them
- Identifying areas where Careem Pay needs strategic partnerships or investments to meet licensing, tech, commercial or operational objectives
- Strategy execution: implement key strategic projects, including:
- Working with POCs across legal, commercial, product, engineering, marketing, regulatory, compliance, and other functional areas to achieve milestones
- Driving required analyses including benchmarking, market size assessments, user surveys, business plans, etc.
- Ensuring project management and delivery against milestones
- Developing progress updates for Careem Pay Board and other leadership groups
- Planning and reporting: establish and implement effective planning and reporting processes to ensure alignment with overall Careem objectives, including:
- Defining priorities on an annual and quarterly basis, at the Careem Pay level
- Driving goal and target setting exercises across the different Careem Pay teams
- Reporting performance to the company’s senior leadership and C-Suite
- Working closely with our investors to drive relevant synergies and collaboration for Careem Pay
- Corporate development: lead strategic support to inorganic growth efforts spanning mergers, acquisitions, and strategic investment opportunities
In return, you’ll gain massive learning opportunities; exposure to multiple functions including tech, commercial, operations and marketing; access to senior leadership; and the chance to be part of a super-fun growth journey in the super-exciting fintech space.
What you’ll need:
- Relevant education background, including MBA or strategy, finance, innovation, or computer science degree from a top-tier academic institution
- 8 years + of professional experience, especially working with the strategy, business development or corporate development arm of a leading fintech and/or a top-tier management consulting firm
- Knowledge of fintech business models, value chain, players and industry trends
- Understanding of tech infrastructure and networks / partnerships critical for fintech players
- Strong track-record of problem-solving, including structuring problems, performing detailed analysis, and developing & implementing recommendations
- Ability to independently engage with and communicate recommendations to C-level and senior leadership
- Start-up mindset
- Laser focused on growth, speed and results on a daily basis
- Self-starter with high level of ownership and limited need for oversight and support
- Willingness and ability to work cross-functionally and organise and influence colleagues in other Careem Pay and Careem teams (e.g., including product, finance, business units, marketing, corp dev, markets) from inception to delivery of projects
- Detail-oriented and organized with a strong talent for project management
What we’ll provide you
We offer colleagues the opportunity to drive impact in the region while they learn and grow. As a Careem colleague you will be able to:
- Work and learn from great minds by joining a community of inspiring colleagues.
- Put your passion to work in a purposeful organisation dedicated to creating impact in a region with a lot of untapped potential.
- Explore new opportunities to learn and grow every day.
- Enjoy the flexibility that comes with the trust of being an owner; work in a hybrid style with a mix of days at the office and at home, and remotely from any country in the world for 30 days a year with unlimited vacation days per year.
- Access to healthcare benefits and fitness reimbursements for health activities including: gym, health club and training classes.