Director - Global Taxation
Careem is building the Everything App for the greater Middle East, making it easier than ever to move around, order food and groceries, manage payments, and more. Careem is led by a powerful purpose to simplify and improve the lives of people and build an awesome organisation that inspires. Since 2012, Careem has created earnings for over 2.5 million Captains, simplified the lives of over 50 million customers, and built a platform for the region’s best talent to thrive and for entrepreneurs to scale their businesses. Careem operates in over 70 cities across 10 countries, from Morocco to Pakistan.
Reports to: VP Finance
About the role
The Global Director of Tax is a member of the senior management team and plays a key role in advising the company on all tax matters. This includes developing and implementing tax strategies, ensuring compliance with tax laws and regulations, managing tax risks, and providing tax advice and support to senior management.
What you’ll do
- Tax strategy development and implementation: Develop and implement tax strategies to minimize the company's tax liability and maximize its tax efficiency. This may involve developing tax planning strategies for specific transactions, such as acquisitions and divestitures, or developing more general tax strategies, such as transfer pricing policies.
- Tax compliance: Oversee the tax compliance function and ensure that all tax returns are filed accurately and on time. This may involve working with the accounting team to develop tax compliance procedures, reviewing tax returns and supporting documentation, and responding to tax authority inquiries.
- Tax risk management: Manage and mitigate tax risks, including those associated with new business ventures, acquisitions, and divestitures. This may involve identifying and assessing tax risks, developing risk mitigation strategies, and monitoring the effectiveness of those strategies.
- External relationships: Maintain relationships with tax authorities and external tax advisors. This may involve negotiating tax treaties, representing the company in tax audits, and seeking tax advice on complex tax issues.
- Tax advice and support to senior management: Provide tax advice and support to senior management on a wide range of tax issues. This may involve analyzing the tax implications of new business strategies, developing tax budgets, and responding to tax inquiries from investors and creditors.
- Tax team management: Manage and develop the tax team. This may involve setting goals and objectives, providing training and development opportunities, and evaluating performance.
- Tax research: Conduct research on tax laws and regulations, and develop tax opinions and memoranda.
- Tax policy development: Develop and implement tax policies for the company.
- Developing and maintaining tax accounting policies and procedures.
- Representing the company in tax audits and disputes.
What you’ll need
- Technical tax expertise: Have a deep understanding of tax laws and regulations in multiple jurisdictions, including corporate income tax, transfer pricing, international tax planning, and M&A tax.
- Strategic thinking: Be able to develop and implement tax strategies that minimize the company's tax liability and maximize its tax efficiency. This requires the ability to think strategically about the company's business goals and objectives, and to identify and assess tax risks and opportunities.
- Leadership and communication skills: Ability to lead and manage a team of tax professionals, and to communicate complex tax issues to both technical and non-technical audiences. This includes the ability to build relationships with all the stakeholders.
Qualification & Experience required:
- Professional qualification: LLM or other relevant professional qualification.
- Experience: 12+ years of experience in tax consulting or industry, with a focus on multinational tax matters.
- Experience with tax planning for multinational companies including CIT implementation (Preferred), Transfer planning and M&A transactions
What we’ll provide you
We offer colleagues the opportunity to drive impact in the region while they learn and grow. As a Careem colleague you will be able to:
- Work and learn from great minds by joining a community of inspiring colleagues.
- Put your passion to work in a purposeful organisation dedicated to creating impact in a region with a lot of untapped potential.
- Explore new opportunities to learn and grow every day.
- Enjoy the flexibility that comes with the trust of being an owner; work in a hybrid style with a mix of days at the office and at home, and remotely from any country in the world for 30 days a year with unlimited vacation days per year.
- Access to healthcare benefits and fitness reimbursements for health activities including: gym, health club and training classes.