Senior Site Reliability Engineer II
Careem is building the Everything App for the greater Middle East, making it easier than ever to move around, order food and groceries, manage payments, and more. Careem is led by a powerful purpose to simplify and improve the lives of people and build an awesome organisation that inspires. Since 2012, Careem has created earnings for over 2.5 million Captains, simplified the lives of over 50 million customers, and built a platform for the region’s best talent to thrive and for entrepreneurs to scale their businesses. Careem operates in over 70 cities across 10 countries, from Morocco to Pakistan.
About the team
We are looking for engineers who will work within the Cloud Infrastructure Foundation team. The Infra Foundation team develops and maintain:
- Highly scalable Kubernetes clusters
- Highly reliable, secure and performant KONG based API Gateways
- Cloud Access management automation and integration with k8s
About the role
We need expert, execution-focused engineers to help shape the future of the Careem platform and to help us scale our already sizable effort greatly. As an SRE in Careem, you'll architect, build and maintain the above ecosystem required to ensure resilience, reliability of our services and speed up deployments with the aim of improving our products used by millions of customers every day.
Key responsibilities include:
- Make an impact from design phase, through development and operation of Kubernetes cluster and its ecosystem on AWS
- Develop and integrate KONG API Gateway Plugins that are low latency and secure.
- Build core services, tooling and create technical processes that simplify and enable engineers across multiple services
- Develop internal tools and applications that make production easy and smooth.
- Identifying and automating and scale system configurations without compromising on security and reliability.
- Participate in on-call rotations and help improve incident response
- 5 above years experience in architecting, developing, operating and troubleshooting Kubernetes clusters and/or other highly available systems at scale.
- Preferable - hands on experience with deploying and operating KONG as API GW or Ingress controller.
- Experience with any at least one of the following programming languages: Go, Python, Java, Rust, C++
- Experience with infrastructure automation - such as terraform , Cloud Formation or Pulumi.
- Strong Unix or Linux background, including concepts such as processes, network stack, and memory allocation
- Experience with cloud-native services on AWS/GCP/Azure
- Incident response and/or incident management experience
- Experience on DevOps topics such as monitoring, CI/CD, security is a plus
- Effective communication and collaboration skills: have the ability to drive and promote technical partnerships across teams
What we’ll provide you
We offer colleagues the opportunity to drive impact in the region while they learn and grow. As a Careem colleague you will be able to:
- Work and learn from great minds by joining a community of inspiring colleagues.
- Put your passion to work in a purposeful organisation dedicated to creating impact in a region with a lot of untapped potential.
- Explore new opportunities to learn and grow every day.
- Enjoy the flexibility that comes with the trust of being an owner; work in a hybrid style with a mix of days at the office and at home, and remotely from any country in the world for 30 days a year with unlimited vacation days per year.
- Access to healthcare benefits and fitness reimbursements for health activities including: gym, health club and training classes.