Staff Site Reliability Engineer I
Careem is building the Everything App for the greater Middle East, making it easier than ever to move around, order food and groceries, manage payments, and more. Careem is led by a powerful purpose to simplify and improve the lives of people and build an awesome organisation that inspires. Since 2012, Careem has created earnings for over 2.5 million Captains, simplified the lives of over 50 million customers, and built a platform for the region’s best talent to thrive and for entrepreneurs to scale their businesses. Careem operates in over 70 cities across 10 countries, from Morocco to Pakistan.
About the job
We are looking for a Staff SRE- Architect who will be focusing on SRE practices and Infrastructure Design and who can share a common interest in distributed systems, their scalability, and continued development.
As an Architect, you will play a key role in designing, implementing, and maintaining high-quality infrastructure practices within our organization. Scale highly distributed systems and continuously improve our engineering practices. These large-scale, distributed systems handle everything from user requests to payment processing.
You will be responsible for ensuring the reliability, performance, and availability of our systems.
As part of an entrepreneurial team in this rapidly growing business, you will play a key role in understanding the needs of our customers, help shape the future of businesses of all sizes and use technology to connect with customers, employees, and partners.
- Architecture: You will lead and be a trusted technical advisor to solve complex engineering challenges in modern cloud architectures. Guide engineers who work on complex technical matters and designs impacting all the domains under Careem. You will be responsible for the infrastructure architecture and design of our distributed backend system to meet the challenging scalability and reliability requirements for our fast-growing business. You will be coaching and advising teammates on the selection of methodologies, tools, and technologies.
- Design: Ensure end-to-end architecture design according to best practices, compliance, regulation, and privacy. Create and deliver best practices recommendations, tutorials, blog articles, sample code and technical presentations adapting to different levels of key business and technical stakeholders.
- Technical vision: You will research emerging technology trends and ideas to form a technological vision and co-lead the engineering roadmap to deliver competitive value and enable world-class user experience.
- Supporting and growing the product and engineering teams: Facilitate collaboration with other architects, engineers, business owners and technical program managers to solve interesting and challenging problems across our platform.
- Careem-wide Tech Leadership: You will work with different stakeholders at a senior level and engage proactively with all Careem engineering leads in different domains: Super App Platform, Mobility of People, Food, Groceries, and Careem Pay.
The ideal candidate will have a passionate commitment to improve people's lives, an insane focus on excellence and customer service and a strong alignment with our core values: being bold, focused, agile, and collaborative.
- Master's or Ph.D. degree in Computer Science or an equivalent discipline.
- 8+ years of experience in software development focusing on SRE principles and practices, Infrastructure, Monitoring, SDLC, and Quality gates.
- Extensive backend programming experience in one or more of the following: Golang, Java, C/C++, Python, Scala, Groovy.
- Experience in implementing and managing CI/CD pipelines and familiarity with containerization and orchestration technologies such as Docker and Kubernetes.
- Demonstrated experience in implementing and managing quality assurance processes, including test automation, code review standards, and quality metrics tracking.
- Ability to articulate technical challenges and solutions, deal with loosely defined problems and fast-changing requirements and think abstractly.
- Proven knowledge of system architecture.
- Leadership experience, with a proven ability to provide technical guidance and mentorship to software development teams.
- Experience in multi-tiered distributed systems, web services, APIs, and relational and NoSQL databases.
- Experience in AWS solutions (Google Cloud and other Cloud providers are preferred).
- Experience with scalable networking technologies (e.g., Load Balancers and firewalls) and web standards (e.g., REST APIs, gRPC, web security mechanisms).
- Excellent communication skills.
- Ability to juggle multiple projects simultaneously.
What we’ll provide you
We offer colleagues the opportunity to drive impact in the region while they learn and grow. As a Careem colleague you will be able to:
- Work and learn from great minds by joining a community of inspiring colleagues.
- Put your passion to work in a purposeful organisation dedicated to creating impact in a region with a lot of untapped potential.
- Explore new opportunities to learn and grow every day.
- Enjoy the flexibility that comes with the trust of being an owner; work in a hybrid style with a mix of days at the office and at home, and remotely from any country in the world for 30 days a year with unlimited vacation days per year.
- Access to healthcare benefits and fitness reimbursements for health activities including: gym, health club and training classes.