Site Reliability Engineer- II
Careem is building the Everything App for the greater Middle East, making it easier than ever to move around, order food and groceries, manage payments, and more. Careem is led by a powerful purpose to simplify and improve the lives of people and build an awesome organisation that inspires. Since 2012, Careem has created earnings for over 2.5 million Captains, simplified the lives of over 50 million customers, and built a platform for the region’s best talent to thrive and for entrepreneurs to scale their businesses. Careem operates in over 70 cities across 10 countries, from Morocco to Pakistan.
About the team:
Part of CareemNextGen Team, the mission of the program is to help grow our new joint Engineering team by learning how to write clean code, use SOLID principle techniques, and design reliable systems. The ultimate goal is to train the new Engineers to build Engineering excellence foundations with high standards. Our programme covers all the areas of Careem tech be it Cyber Security, Data, Infrastructure, and all the Software Engineering tracks like Backend, Frontend as well as Mobile. You will work alongside our top talent for an accelerated learning path. You will have access to some of the most exciting projects and advanced tech for accelerated learning and exposure.
We are looking for someone passionate about automation, tooling, and frameworks to join the CareemNextGen team. You will be part of the team that has the mandate to enable engineers across all functional divisions at Careem to move as fast as possible, while maintaining our high quality and correctness expectations. Infrastructure Engineering Team work ranges from maintaining our CICD fleet, to optimizing our build and release workflows, and more Site Reliability Engineering flavored work providing monitoring and visibility.
You will be responsible for maintaining some of our services that power the Careem Engine, scaling highly distributed systems, and continuously documenting and improving our engineering practices. These large-scale, distributed systems handle everything from user requests to payment processing.
Key responsibilities include:
- Maintain features and systems, with an emphasis on code quality, maintainability, readability, and testing
- Support the rest of the Infrastructure team in adoption by engineers in such a way that makes on-boarding pleasant and seamless.
- Design, write and review application code.
- Opportunity to extend our existing solutions. This will include modifying or developing code Java, Python, GO and different frameworks
- Facilitate collaboration with other engineers, product owners, and designers to solve interesting and challenging problems across our platform
- Be a valued member of an autonomous, cross-functional agile team
- You care about quality and you know what it means to ship high-quality code.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience.
- 2 - 4 years experience in building and owning tools for medium to large engineering teams.
- Expert Knowledge in Developing and debugging in one these Java, Go, Python,Bash.
- Experience with terraform and Cloud Formation.
- Experience with other programming languages is a plus.
- Experience of building systems, dashboards and metrics to facilitate a data-driven approach to problem resolution
- Experience with AWS and/or other cloud providers is a plus.
- Unquenchable thirst for learning new things.
- Obsession about keeping costs low while building solutions.
- Experience of Kubernetes is a plus.
What we’ll provide you
We offer colleagues the opportunity to drive impact in the region while they learn and grow. As a Careem colleague you will be able to:
- Work and learn from great minds by joining a community of inspiring colleagues.
- Put your passion to work in a purposeful organisation dedicated to creating impact in a region with a lot of untapped potential.
- Explore new opportunities to learn and grow every day.
- Enjoy the flexibility that comes with the trust of being an owner; work in a hybrid style with a mix of days at the office and at home, and remotely from any country in the world for 30 days a year with unlimited vacation days per year.
- Access to healthcare benefits and fitness reimbursements for health activities including: gym, health club and training classes.