Senior Manager - Ethics & Compliance
Careem is building the Everything App for the greater Middle East, making it easier than ever to move around, order food and groceries, manage payments, and more. Careem is led by a powerful purpose to simplify and improve the lives of people and build an awesome organisation that inspires. Since 2012, Careem has created earnings for over 2.5 million Captains, simplified the lives of over 50 million customers, and built a platform for the region’s best talent to thrive and for entrepreneurs to scale their businesses. Careem operates in over 70 cities across 10 countries, from Morocco to Pakistan.
About the Role
The Ethics & Compliance Department (hereinafter “E&C”) is a fully empowered and authorized, independent assurance and strategic advisory function with the main objective of ensuring consistent application and dissemination of ethical and anti-corruption/fraud business practices across Careem Technologies functions and operations.
What you'll do
- Oversee all relevant compliance work-streams and manage not only internal stakeholders (e.g., management, compliance network) but also external stakeholders, including third parties in relation to compliance demands. Escalate all duties and matters to the Ethics & Compliance Director for consistency.
- Work with the Ethics & Compliance Director, other Compliance Managers and the Legal Team to fulfill the compliance commitments for the successful closure of all relevant matters.
- Initiate, conduct and promptly reply to ad-hoc compliance issues as appropriate and support colleagues in understanding compliance-related risks and management of such risks.
- Support the Ethics & Compliance Director with reporting requirements, including presentation to various management stakeholders on an on-going basis.
- Support the Group Head of Ethics & Compliance to implement Compliance work streams.
- Review and roll out relevant policies and procedures and identify where local adjustments may be needed.
- Ensure consistent application of guidelines and principles and advise stakeholders whenever inquiries are received.
- Advise management on the company’s compliance with laws and regulations through detailed reports.
- Mitigate and resolve colleague concerns about legal compliance.
- Conduct and manage investigations, updating the internal investigations management system and ensure the completeness of documentation and "burden of proof" in substantiating allegations.
- Enhance and complement the provided training materials with regional specifics, e.g., local legislation and jurisdiction, third parties, etc.
- Train local management and relevant stakeholders on Compliance Commitments, Anti-Corruption topics, Code of Conduct, Data Privacy and other Compliance topics as and when required.
- Instruct and guide on the general Careem Compliance Management System and build compliance capacity and embed compliance culture and know-how within the organization.
What you'll need
- Educated to a degree level, preferably in legal, business administration, compliance, etc. Professional qualification in compliance is a plus.
- At least eight (8) years of proven professional experience in the field of Ethics & Compliance
- Knowledge and proficient application of all relevant legal regulations (particularly US FCPA and UK Bribery Act); working knowledge of corporate governance principles is a plus- experience in the field of investigations as well as the examination and assessment of compliance management systems.
- Proven knowledge and experience in Sanctions is a must
- Independent, goal-oriented and systematic way of working, decisive.
- Strong analytical and conceptual skills.
- Excellent English & Arabic communication skills both verbally and in writing. Excellent report writing and memo writing capabilities.
- Willingness to travel across Careem’s network mainly Jordan, KSA and GCC.
- Pronounced organizational skill, high operational readiness and collaboration.
What we’ll provide you
We offer colleagues the opportunity to drive impact in the region while they learn and grow. As a Careem colleague you will be able to:
- Work and learn from great minds by joining a community of inspiring colleagues.
- Put your passion to work in a purposeful organisation dedicated to creating impact in a region with a lot of untapped potential.
- Explore new opportunities to learn and grow every day.
- Enjoy the flexibility that comes with the trust of being an owner; work in a hybrid style with a mix of days at the office and at home, and remotely from any country in the world for 30 days a year with unlimited vacation days per year.
- Access to healthcare benefits and fitness reimbursements for health activities including: gym, health club and training classes.