Legal Counsel - Careem Quik
Careem is building the Everything App for the greater Middle East, making it easier than ever to move around, order food and groceries, manage payments, and more. Careem is led by a powerful purpose to simplify and improve the lives of people and build an awesome organisation that inspires. Since 2012, Careem has created earnings for over 2.5 million Captains, simplified the lives of over 50 million customers, and built a platform for the region’s best talent to thrive and for entrepreneurs to scale their businesses. Careem operates in over 70 cities across 10 countries, from Morocco to Pakistan.
This role is an exciting opportunity to shape the future of deliveries. We're looking for an organized, proactive and efficient individual with a keen interest in furthering their experience of the legal sector.
About the team:
The Careem legal team is a diverse group of lawyers and legal professionals that serves as a strategic partner to Careem’s core and non-core services. We're passionate about collaborating with our colleagues to proactively mitigate risks, optimize solutions, and play our part in simplifying and improving lives in our region.
Joining our team means becoming part of a dynamic, results-oriented environment and where you'll have the opportunity to make a real impact on the business.
What you’ll do:
- Advise Quik and Legal leadership on legal aspects of business decisions, identifying and mitigating potential risks.
- Draft and review sound legal agreements, including supply agreements, leases, and bespoke agreements for partnerships.
- Lead contract negotiations with key suppliers and partners, securing favorable terms for Careem.
- Execute trademark registration procedures for Quik across the MEA region.
- Navigate evolving regulations and ensure Quik's compliance with all relevant MEA laws.
- Collaborate with the government relations team to ensure smooth interactions with authorities and regulators.
- Spearhead legal aspects of launching new markets and dark stores within existing markets.
This is a hands-on role and you’ll be expected to handle significant legal matters with short turnaround times.
What you’ll need:
- Strong drafting skills
- Fluent in English
- Minimum of 7 years of experience PQE
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Comfortable in working with shifting priorities, ambiguity and fast-paced environments.
- Self-starter and self-sufficient.
- Prior experience in a similar or related industry (dark stores, quick commerce or fast-moving consumer goods) in the MENA region preferred.
- Arabic language skills (preferred but not required)
- Regional experience
- In house experience
What we’ll provide you
We offer colleagues the opportunity to drive impact in the region while they learn and grow. As a Careem colleague you will be able to:
- Work and learn from great minds by joining a community of inspiring colleagues.
- Put your passion to work in a purposeful organisation dedicated to creating impact in a region with a lot of untapped potential.
- Explore new opportunities to learn and grow every day.
- Enjoy the flexibility that comes with the trust of being an owner; work in a hybrid style with a mix of days at the office and at home, and remotely from any country in the world for 30 days a year with unlimited vacation days per year.
- Access to healthcare benefits and fitness reimbursements for health activities including: gym, health club and training classes.