Associate Director - Communications
Careem is building the Everything App for the greater Middle East, making it easier than ever to move around, order food and groceries, manage payments, and more. Careem is led by a powerful purpose to simplify and improve the lives of people and build an awesome organisation that inspires. Since 2012, Careem has created earnings for over 2.5 million Captains, simplified the lives of over 50 million customers, and built a platform for the region’s best talent to thrive and for entrepreneurs to scale their businesses. Careem operates in over 70 cities across 10 countries, from Morocco to Pakistan.
About the team
Lead Careem’s communications efforts in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia to build front of mind awareness of the Careem Everything App. Protect and enhance Careem’s reputation by positioning Careem as an industry thought leader, a great place to work, a partner to the Kingdom’s agenda and a positive contributor to Saudi communities.
What you'll do
- Collaborate on the development of an ambitious, KSA communications strategy with monthly targets to engage and inform customers, communities, captains and colleagues while positioning Careem as a thought leader.
- Provide feedback on communication performance metrics and challenge established metrics to drive more impactful results.
- Advise on strategic approach to budget spend demonstrating strategic analysis of RoI.
- Share insights into consumer and media-related trends in KSA.
- Develop and secure placement of high-quality editorial content to position Careem as an industry thought leader.
- Drive a programme of continuous media engagement across Saudi Arabia to generate high-quality, impactful coverage of announcements, executive profiles, partnerships and other company news.
- Develop and maintain trusted relationships with business and lifestyle Saudi media covering Careem’s business sectors.
- Work with senior business leaders to assess external speaking opportunities in Saudi Arabia and help spokespeople prepare for speaking engagements.
- Manage an external agency to ensure effective implementation of scope of work and regular review of output to ensure impact.
- Partner with the KSA and global business leads to develop content for cross-functional leadership forums and country All Hands events for colleagues in KSA.
- Collaborate with Careem’s central Internal Comms team to provide KSA content to global internal communications channels. including Global All Hands, the intranet, CEO monthly communications to colleagues and the quarterly company internal newsletter.
- Collaborate with the Social Media team within Corporate Affairs to provide insights on Saudi Arabia that will help the team tailor Careem’s strategy to engage and grow the vibrant community of online followers across Careem’s four core corporate social media accounts: LinkedIn, Twitter, Instagram and TikTok.
Crisis and issues management
- Join the cross functional crisis-response team and serve as a senior counsellor to business leadership when managing major reputational challenges.
- Support the colleagues in the People Team and Corporate Affairs working on further development of Careem’s employer brand, with a particular emphasis on prospective engineering and tech colleagues.
What you'll need
- 8 - 10 years of relevant experience including at least 5 years engaging media in Saudi Arabia
- Ambitious mindset - belief that Careem can achieve more than imagined
- Experience developing and overseeing the implementation of complex communications strategies
- Commercial acumen, sound judgment and an understanding of how strategic communications is used to reach business objectives
- Poise and confidence coupled with strong presentation skills and the ability to engage at all levels of an organization to clearly communicate complex information in accessible and memorable ways
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Advanced understanding of communications measurement and evaluation
- Exceptional Arabic language skills including the ability to draft Arabic-first copy
- Strong English writing skills, a solid grasp of grammar
- Alignment with Careem’s purpose and a commitment to living our values
- Sense of humor: Careem aims to do everything with a wink
- Energetic and tenacious self-starter with an inner drive to proactively engage and follow up relentlessly to drive impact rather than output
- Tech-sector experience
- Network of relevant journalist contacts
- Social media strategy development
What we’ll provide you
We offer colleagues the opportunity to drive impact in the region while they learn and grow. As a Careem colleague you will be able to:
- Work and learn from great minds by joining a community of inspiring colleagues.
- Put your passion to work in a purposeful organisation dedicated to creating impact in a region with a lot of untapped potential.
- Explore new opportunities to learn and grow every day.
- Enjoy the flexibility that comes with the trust of being an owner; work in a hybrid style with a mix of days at the office and at home, and remotely from any country in the world for 30 days a year with unlimited vacation days per year.
- Access to healthcare benefits and fitness reimbursements for health activities including: gym, health club and training classes.