Director I/II, Seller Experience Product (Marketplace)
We exist to wow our customers. We know we’re doing the right thing when we hear our customers say, “How did we ever live without Coupang?” Born out of an obsession to make shopping, eating, and living easier than ever, we’re collectively disrupting the multi-billion-dollar e-commerce industry from the ground up. We are one of the fastest-growing e-commerce companies that established an unparalleled reputation for being a dominant and reliable force in South Korean commerce.
We are proud to have the best of both worlds — a startup culture with the resources of a large global public company. This fuels us to continue our growth and launch new services at the speed we have been since our inception. We are all entrepreneurial surrounded by opportunities to drive new initiatives and innovations. At our core, we are bold and ambitious people that like to get our hands dirty and make a hands-on impact. At Coupang, you will see yourself, your colleagues, your team, and the company grow every day.
Our mission to build the future of commerce is real. We push the boundaries of what’s possible to solve problems and break traditional trade-offs. Join Coupang now to create an epic experience in this always-on, high-tech, and hyper-connected world.
Coupang Seller Marketplace
Coupang’s Seller Marketplace has tens of thousands of independent brands and sellers, and millions of items, live on the platform – and it’s growing every day. With fulfilment operations in the US, China and Hong Kong, international Sellers can also use our platform to access the South Korean market and have their products shipped directly to customers via our guaranteed 3-day Jikgu delivery service.
Coupang has a passionate commitment to support small enterprises, which form a critical component of Coupang’s business. The hundreds of thousands of small merchants making their living on Coupang constitute 80% of our total sellers. To support their success, Coupang provides these companies onboarding assistance and training, as well as support with marketing and promotional activities to help them grow their businesses.
As the single-threaded Product Leader you will have responsibility for the products, tools and features that form Coupang’s global Seller Marketplace, owning efforts to reinvent the end-to-end experience for sellers on Coupang’s Marketplace. This includes from the very beginning of sellers’ journey from seller acquisition to seller onboarding, seller’s product listing and listing management, seller’s product quality, seller portal, and seller behavior shaping. S/he will lead a team of Product Managers, working closely with engineering and data science teams in Seoul, Shanghai and Seattle, to drive the rapid growth of the Marketplace globally. This will be achieved by defining – and executing upon – a strategic roadmap that includes the development of industry-first features and technologies to provide a world-class, personalized experience for our sellers, helping them be successful and grow their businesses on our platform.
Responsibilities will include, but not be limited to, the following:
- Define and drive the vision, strategy and success metrics to scale the number of Sellers using Coupang’s Marketplace;
- Drive alignment with a variety of stakeholders, including marketing and retail executives, operations leaders, and engineering teams, to deliver on the above goal;
- Grow, lead and develop a team of Product Owners (also known as Product Managers) responsible for the entire product life cycle from strategic planning to implementation;
- Identify products and features to drive a better, more frictionless experience for our sellers on our Marketplace.
- Prioritize and create a future roadmap of projects and initiatives, considering the necessary trade-offs;
- Regularly review metrics and proactively seek out new and improved data/mechanisms for visibility.
- 8+ years of experience in product management, including leading a team of other Product Managers
- Deep understanding of eCommerce Marketplace or adjacent models
- Experience working with multiple teams across different geographies
- Startup experience (preferred)
Traits and Competencies:
- Analytical thinker who works well in a global, fast-paced, data-driven, cross-functional, and highly ambiguous entrepreneurial culture
- Bias for action and willingness to get your hands dirty to get the job done
- Sound business judgment and proven ability to effectively communicate and influence others, including executive level reviews
- Ability to think strategically and at the same time stay on top of tactical execution
Skills and Qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or equivalent practical experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
*Working Location: Note that this role requires to be permanently based in Korea. However, we provide competitive expat benefits for those eligible to the employee and employee's dependent family during entire employment at Coupang
Recruitment Process and Others:
- Application Review - Phone Interview - Onsite (or Virtual Onsite) Interview – Offer
- The exact nature of the recruitment process may vary according to the specific job and may be changed due to scheduling or other circumstances.
- Interview schedules and the results will be informed to the applicant via the e-mail address submitted at the application stage.
Details to Consider
- This job posting may be closed prior to the stated end date for application if all openings are filled.
- Coupang has the right to rescind an offer of employment if a candidate is found to have submitted false information as part of the application process.
- Coupang does not discriminate against disabled applicants or those with veteran status. We are proud to offer equal opportunities for all applicants.
- Job titles and responsibilities may be subject to change depending on the candidate’s overall experience, etc. This will be communicated to the candidate at the appropriate time before the offer.
- Your personal information will be collected and managed by Coupang as stated in the Application Privacy Notice located below.
Document Return Policy (This notice MUST be included in a job posting in Korea only to comply with the Fair Hiring Procedure Act.)
- This notification is given pursuant to Article 11 (6) of the Fair Hiring Procedure Act.
- A job applicant, who has applied but not been finally selected for a position at Coupang (the “Company”), may request the Company to return his/her hiring documents submitted pursuant to the Fair Hiring Procedure Act. However, this will not apply where the hiring documents were submitted via the website of the Company or e-mail, or where the job applicant submitted those documents voluntarily without a request from the Company. In addition, if the hiring documents were destroyed due to a natural disaster or any other reasons not attributable to the Company, such documents will be deemed to have been returned to the job applicant.
- A job applicant who wishes to request the return of his/her hiring documents pursuant to the main sentence of paragraph 2 above should fill out a “Request for Return of Hiring Documents” [Annex Form No. 3 in the Enforcement Rule of the Fair Hiring Procedure Act] and submit the request to the Company (Coupang Recruiting Team, Tower 730, 570 Songpa-daero, Songpa-gu, Seoul). In such case, within fourteen (14) days from the date of identifying the receipt of the request, the Company will send the hiring documents to the job applicant’s designated address via registered mail. Please be informed that the job applicant is required to pay the postage on the registered mail.
- In preparation for a job applicant’s request for the return of hiring documents pursuant to the main sentence of paragraph 2 above, the Company shall retain the original hiring documents submitted by the job applicant for 180 days from the completion of the recruiting process. If no request is made until the end of this period, all of his/her hiring documents will be destroyed immediately in accordance with the Personal Information Protection Act.
Equal Opportunities for All
Coupang is an equal opportunity employer. Our unprecedented success could not be possible without the valuable inputs of our globally diverse team.