Director, Product Management
Coursera was launched in 2012 by two Stanford Computer Science professors, Andrew Ng and Daphne Koller, with a mission to provide universal access to world-class learning. It is now one of the largest online learning platforms in the world, with 129 million registered learners as of June 30, 2023.
Coursera partners with over 300 leading university and industry partners to offer a broad catalog of content and credentials, including courses, Specializations, Professional Certificates, Guided Projects, and bachelor’s and master’s degrees. Institutions around the world use Coursera to upskill and reskill their employees, citizens, and students in fields such as data science, technology, and business. Coursera became a B Corp in February 2021.
Join us in our mission to create a world where anyone, anywhere can transform their life through access to education. We're seeking talented individuals who share our passion and drive to revolutionize the way the world learns.
We at Coursera are committed to building a globally diverse team and are thrilled to extend employment opportunities to individuals in any country where we have a legal entity. We require candidates to possess eligible working rights and have a compatible timezone overlap with their team to facilitate seamless collaboration. As a remote-first company, our interviews and onboarding are entirely virtual, providing a smooth and efficient experience for our candidates.
As the Director of Product Management at Coursera, your responsibility will be to shape Coursera’s Platform Product foundations and experiences across our diverse business segments. Your role will be crucial in developing and executing strategies and product functionality that will not only enable a compelling and user-friendly learning environment but also foster network effects to amplify product-led growth. By focusing on delivering strong platform foundations leading to exceptional outcomes that align with our learner and customer needs, you will play a pivotal role in influencing multiple revenue drivers across all business segments.
Your role will be highly strategic, focused on driving impact and ensuring that Coursera's programs are differentiated and supported by strong product-market fit to continue to be successful and competitive in the marketplace. And, your role will directly impact the growth of Coursera’s consumer, degrees, and enterprise business revenue. You will collaborate closely with the product, marketing, engineering, design, research, and data teams to develop and execute on your strategies, ensuring alignment across the organization.
You will own our Product strategy and shape the future of Coursera's key platform and customer experiences. We are seeking a highly cross-functional product leader to own and develop the strategy, and build and lead a strong team of Product Managers to achieve this. The role requires a strong product mindset; combination of business savvy, customer centricity and technical knowledge to drive a number of complex initiatives across multiple stakeholder groups. We are looking for a leader who is passionate about our customers, while understanding the complexities of our market and user needs and can drive creation of world class platform solutions for our learners, customers and partners globally.
- Strategic Vision and Alignment: Develop and communicate a clear long-term strategy for developing strong platform foundations and solutions across all of Coursera’s business segments, ensuring that this strategy aligns seamlessly with the broader organizational goals and objectives.
- Platform Foundation & Solution Strategies: Craft and implement innovative strategies aimed at maximizing learner engagement and learner access via the right set of foundational platform products, ensuring a rich and rewarding journey from initial interaction to sustained, loyal participation in Coursera’s offerings.
- Product Roadmap Development: Take charge of creating, executing, and continually refining a comprehensive product roadmap focused on creating strong foundations to enable both learner engagement and learner access catering to the unique needs of each business segment. Effectively communicate your strategy and vision to senior management and various stakeholders.
- Team Leadership and Development: Lead, mentor, and nurture a diverse and high-performing team of Product Managers and cross-functional partners, steering them towards the successful realization of platform foundation goals.
- Data-Driven Insights: Proactively gather, analyze, and leverage market, consumer, and product data to inform and optimize foundational platform strategies to boost learner engagement and learner access.
- Product Development and Lifecycle Management: Oversee cross-functional teams throughout the product development lifecycle, ensuring timely and impactful product releases that enhance learner experience and drive learner engagement and learner access to content.
- Go-to-Market and Post-Launch Analysis: Support the development and execution of go-to-market strategies for new product features or initiatives aimed at improving learner engagement and access in collaboration with Product Segment Leaders. Conduct thorough post-launch analyses to gauge impact, gather insights, and inform future product development efforts.
- Performance Metrics and Continuous Improvement: Establish and track key performance indicators related to learner engagement and retention, ensuring continuous product improvement and alignment with strategic objectives. Utilize insights from product performance and user engagement data to continually refine and optimize engagement and retention strategies.
- Operational Efficiency: Ensure the Product Management department operates efficiently and effectively, optimizing processes and resources to meet business objectives via strong platform foundations. Set the benchmark for best practices, conventions that should be followed, and evangelize as needed.
- 8+ years of extensive experience in product management, with a proven track record of spearheading product-led initiatives for engagement & retention at a strategic level.
- 4+ years of managing Product Managers having successfully executed on cross-team strategies and products.
- Strong analytical skills, with the ability to analyze complex data sets and identify actionable insights to improve product.
- A demonstrated history of successfully leading and nurturing teams of product managers, as well as cross-functional teams, with a strong emphasis on fostering a positive, high-performance team culture. Proven leadership in scaling teams for maximum impact.
- Excellent communication skills, with the ability to clearly articulate complex ideas and strategies to a variety of stakeholders, both in writing and in presentations. Mastery in influencing and mobilizing key decision-makers.
- Expertise in project management methodologies, with experience leading complex, multi-stakeholder initiatives from ideation to launch. Proven experience in efficiently allocating resources for optimal outcomes.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and execute on strategic initiatives that have driven significant business growth and customer acquisition through funnel optimization and product enhancements.
- Strong product mindset, with a focus on understanding customer needs and using data to design and iterate on product features that drive growth and optimization within the funnel. Strong understanding of product development lifecycles and technology platforms is essential.
- Bachelor's degree in a technical or relevant field
- Experience in building and launching successful platform products at scale.
- Experience and understanding of Marketing Tech platform, Integrations and Interoperability.