Senior Data Scientist, Reporting
Coursera was launched in 2012 by two Stanford Computer Science professors, Andrew Ng and Daphne Koller, with a mission to provide universal access to world-class learning. It is now one of the largest online learning platforms in the world, with 136 million registered learners as of September 30, 2023.
Coursera partners with over 300 leading university and industry partners to offer a broad catalog of content and credentials, including courses, Specializations, Professional Certificates, Guided Projects, and bachelor’s and master’s degrees. Institutions around the world use Coursera to upskill and reskill their employees, citizens, and students in fields such as data science, technology, and business. Coursera became a B Corp in February 2021.
Join us in our mission to create a world where anyone, anywhere can transform their life through access to education. We're seeking talented individuals who share our passion and drive to revolutionize the way the world learns.
We at Coursera are committed to building a globally diverse team and are thrilled to extend employment opportunities to individuals in any country where we have a legal entity. We require candidates to possess eligible working rights and have a compatible timezone overlap with their team to facilitate seamless collaboration. As a remote-first company, our interviews and onboarding are entirely virtual, providing a smooth and efficient experience for our candidates.
We are seeking a highly skilled and collaborative Senior Data Scientist to join our team. Reporting to the Director of Data Science, you will work alongside and provide technical guidance to a subset of our Analytics and Insights group and provide support to a few business lines including Industry and University Partnerships, and Content/Credentials supporting Product, Marketing, Content, Finance, Services, and more.
As a Senior Data Scientist, you will influence strategies and roadmaps for business units within your purview through actionable insights. Your responsibilities will include forecasting content performance, informing content acquisition and prescribing improvements, addressing A/B testing setups and reporting, answering ad-hoc business questions, defining metrics and goals, building and managing dashboards, causal inference and ML modeling, supporting business event tracking and unification, and more.
The ideal candidate will be a creative and collaborative Data Scientist who can proactively drive results in their areas of focus, and provide guidance and best practices around statistical modeling and experimentation, data analysis, and data quality.
As a Senior Data Scientist, you will assume responsibility for guiding the planning, assessment, and execution of our content initiatives and the subsequent engagement and learner and student success. You will play a key role in identifying gaps in content and proposing ways to acquire new, targeted content or enhance existing content, in addition to creating and leveraging forecasts of content pre and post launch, defining KPIs and creating reports for measuring the impact of diverse tests, product improvements, and content releases.
In this position, you will guide other Data Scientists and provide technical feedback throughout various stages of project development, including optimizing analytical models, reviewing code, creating dashboards, and conducting experimentation. You will examine and prioritize projects and provide leadership with insightful feedback on results.
Your role will require that you analyze the connection between our consumer-focused business and our learner’s pathway to a degree, and optimize systems to effectively lead to the optimal outcome for our learners. In this position, you will collaborate closely with the data engineering and operations teams to ensure that we have the right content at the right time for our learners.
You will also analyze prospect behavior to identify content acquisition and optimization opportunities that promote global growth in the Consumer and Degrees business, and assist content, marketing, and product managers in developing and measuring growth initiatives; resulting in more lives changed through learning.
In this role, you’ll be directly involved in the planning, measurement, and evaluation of content , engagement, and customer success initiatives and experiments.
- Proactively identify gaps in content availability and recommend targeted content acquisition or improvement to existing content .
- Define and develop KPIs and create reports to measure impact of various tests, content releases, product improvements, etc.
- Mentor Data Scientists and offer technical guidance on projects; dashboard creation, troubleshooting code, statistical modeling, experimentation, and general analysis optimization.
- Run exploratory analyses, uncover new areas of opportunity, create and test hypotheses, develop dashboards, and assess the potential upside of a given opportunity.
- Work closely with our data engineering and operations teams to ensure that content funnel tracking supports product needs and maintain self-serve reporting tools.
- Advise content, marketing, and product managers on experimentation and measurement plans for key growth initiatives
- Background in applied math, computer science, statistics, or a related technical field
- 4+ years of experience using data to advise product or business teams
- 2+ years of experience applying statistical inference techniques to business questions
- Excellent business intuition, cross-functional communication, and project management
- Strong applied statistics and data visualization skillsProficient with at least one scripting language (e.g. Python), one statistical software package (e.g. R, NumPy/SciPy/Pandas), and SQL
- Experience at EdTech or Content Subscription business
- Experience partnering with SaaS sales and/or marketing organizations
- Experience working with Salesforce and/or Marketo data
- Experience with Airflow, Databricks and/or Looker
- Experience with Amplitude
If this opportunity interests you, you might like these courses on Coursera:
- Go Beyond the Numbers: Translate Data into Insights
- Applied AI with DeepLearning
- Probability & Statistics for Machine Learning & Data Science