Head of Government Relations
Coursera was launched in 2012 by two Stanford Computer Science professors, Andrew Ng and Daphne Koller, with a mission to provide universal access to world-class learning. It is now one of the largest online learning platforms in the world, with 142 million registered learners as of December 31, 2023.
Coursera partners with over 325 leading university and industry partners to offer a broad catalog of content and credentials, including courses, Specializations, Professional Certificates, Guided Projects, and bachelor’s and master’s degrees. Institutions around the world use Coursera to upskill and reskill their employees, citizens, and students in fields such as data science, technology, and business. Coursera became a B Corp in February 2021.
Join us in our mission to create a world where anyone, anywhere can transform their life through access to education. We're seeking talented individuals who share our passion and drive to revolutionize the way the world learns.
We at Coursera are committed to building a globally diverse team and are thrilled to extend employment opportunities to individuals in any country where we have a legal entity. We require candidates to possess eligible working rights and have a compatible timezone overlap with their team to facilitate seamless collaboration. As a remote-first company, our interviews and onboarding are entirely virtual, providing a smooth and efficient experience for our candidates.
Coursera’s Legal and Compliance team is responsible for managing all legal, compliance, regulatory, and government relations matters, including contracts, corporate governance, SEC compliance, general compliance, academic compliance, employment law matters, intellectual property, product counseling, government relations, litigation and claims. The team includes dedicated professionals who support every aspect of Coursera's platform, including university, enterprise, and industry partnerships.
As part of our global Corporate Legal team, you will play a key role in increasing global access to a world-class education. Reporting to the VP, Associate General Counsel Corporate and Assistant Secretary, the Head of Government Relations role is responsible for building and shaping Coursera’s government affairs strategy and cultivating successful relationships on Capitol Hill, the Department of Education, and key state houses. The Head of Government Relations will work cross-functionally with the Chief Content Officer and the Legal and Compliance team supporting our Content and Credentials leaders to develop and execute on a policy agenda that furthers the interests of the company, content partners, and learners.
- Create, implement and execute a comprehensive government relations strategy and roadmap to support Coursera’s business objectives
- Leverage relationships with state and federal policymakers, heads of relevant executive agencies and their staff, industry members and trade associations to advocate for Coursera’s legislative and regulatory priorities
- Identify and support the development of policy priorities and strategies including analyzing impactful policy trends, potential partnerships and funding opportunities to provide guidance and strategic direction to the business
- Monitor and analyze relevant policy, legislative and regulatory developments
- Advocate for policies that support innovation and growth in online learning and education technology
- 12+ years of experience in public policy, government affairs, and/or policy development
- Experience navigating complex regulatory environments in the edtech, online learning, and/or higher education industries
- Demonstrated history of identifying and executing creative solutions to address public policy challenges and opportunities
- Experience working with industry trade groups involved in higher education and/or learning and engaging in legislative advocacy efforts
- Strong understanding of state and federal legislative and regulatory proposals and their impacts by working cross functionally with internal business partners to shape Coursera’s position, ensure alignment with business objectives and government relations strategy and lay the foundation for compliance strategies
- Excellent project management and collaboration skills
- Strong knowledge of edtech, higher education, online and/or distance learning industries
- Blend of both government and policy advocacy experience
- Experience managing shifting priorities in a fast-paced, high growth company
If this opportunity interests you, you might like these courses on Coursera:
Our job titles may span more than one career level. The starting base pay for this role is between $198,000 and $233,000. The actual base pay is dependent upon many factors, such as: training, transferable skills, work experience, business needs, and location. The base pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future. This role may also be eligible for bonus, equity, and benefits.