Senior Electrical Engineer
What We Do
Gecko Robotics is helping the world’s most important organizations ensure the availability, reliability, and sustainability of critical infrastructure. Gecko's complete and connected solutions combine wall-climbing robots, industry-leading sensors, and an AI-powered data platform to provide customers with a unique window into the current and future health of their physical assets. This enables real-time decision making to increase the efficiency and safety of operations, promote mission readiness, and protect the environment and civilization from the effects of infrastructure failure.
Role at a Glance
Gecko is seeking an Electrical Engineer with multiple years of experience building mission critical solutions deployed to real-world environments. You will shape and deliver the future electrical architecture of our core fleet of robots and supporting systems. You will work closely with Mechanical and Embedded Software teams to ensure we have a scalable architecture that supports the diversity of missions we support. As a senior engineer you will have end-to-end ownership of electronic hardware – from specification to design, prototype, reliability, validation and manufacturing. We are also looking to leverage your experience in establishing best practices, design patterns, quality standards, and mentorship as we seek to build the world’s best inspection robots.
Gecko’s engineers work in a hands-on, fast-paced environment. We’re seeking highly self-motivated individuals who thrive in a small company environment and are passionate about developing great products, solving challenging problems, and seeing the impact of their work.
What You Will Do
- End-to-end ownership of electronic hardware – from specification to design, prototype, reliability, validation and manufacturing.
- Requirements capture based on business requirements and architectural vision
- Implementation in ECAD, schematic capture and layout alongside mechanical engineers
- Rapid prototyping of conceptual design
- Manufacturing and assembly documentation for in-house technicians and external contract manufacturers
- Firmware development and integration alongside embedded software engineers
- Reliability test plans, testing, and reports alongside reliability engineers utilizing on-site and off-site test equipment
- Analog, digital, and mixed signal design and PCB layout for robotic systems:
- Power conversion (AC to DC, isolation, step down)
- Motion control (DC to AC, field oriented control)
- Data Acquisition
- Networking (USB 3.1 / 3.2, Ethernet, CAN, I2C)
- Help set electrical architecture/vision for Gecko’s future robot initiatives and help drive implementation and delivery.
- Continue to iterate on and improve team standards for hardware quality and best practices.
- Debug electrical failures and drive root cause/corrective action, including circuit re-design and validation for increased robustness.
- Work with firmware design engineers to implement and test microcontroller firmware in embedded C for a variety of applications such as system control and monitoring, peripheral I/O, device drivers, power management, and motion control.
- BS in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, or related technical field
- 7+ years experience in design, repair, and analysis of electronic systems:
- Fluency with an ECAD software (Altium preferred).
- Harsh operating environments: wet, hot, dusty, mechanical shock
- Mixed signal electronic design: creating performant analog circuitry in harsh electrical environments
- Tight electromechanical integration: for example, design PCB layout and connector placement in densely packed assemblies alongside mechanical engineers
- 5+ years experience with communication interfaces
- Low speed such as SPI, I2C, CAN, UART
- High speed such as 10G Ethernet, USB 3.1 / 3.2
- Ability to collaborate with embedded software engineers, including knowledge of firmware development patterns, prior software/firmware development experience and ability to work in software development environments
- Detail-oriented personality with solid documentation and reporting skills. Experience creating documentation for varied audiences (engineering, sales, technicians, executives)
- Experience troubleshooting distributed embedded systems containing multiple communication interfaces with limited “human IO”
- Rapid prototyping experience: SMD/SMT soldering (freehand and reflow), cable assembly, PCBA rework
- Prior exposure to EMC and Safety compliance e.g IEC 61010-1, IEC 61000-4, EN 61326-1:2013
- 10+ years of Electrical Engineering experience
- Experience using ANSYS HFSS / SiWave for high speed interface design
- Prior experience managing power in a hard power limited environment
- Prior experience with flex / rigid-flex PCBAs
- Experience with ROS32, Free RTOS, Zephyr
- Experience with high speed SERDES solutions such as GSML, FPD-Link, V3Link
- Familiarity with STM32 microcontrollers
- Familiarity with Jira and Confluence or other project planning and documentation tools
Who We Are
At Gecko, our people are our greatest investment. In addition to competitive compensation packages, we offer company equity, 401(k) matching, gender-neutral parental leave, full medical, dental, and vision insurance, mental health and wellness support, ongoing professional development, family planning assistance, and flexible paid time off.
We believe that we do our best work when we’re together in person, and we’re committed to creating a culture of collaboration, innovation, and partnership. We ask our employees to be in the office 3 to 5 days per week, depending on the location and role. Our in-office benefits vary by location, but include catered lunch or lunch stipends, fully stocked kitchens, frequent employee events, and more.
Gecko is committed to creating a culture of inclusion and belonging, and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We believe it is our collective responsibility to uphold these values and encourage candidates from all backgrounds to join us in our mission to protect today’s infrastructure and give form to tomorrow’s. All qualified applicants will be treated with respect and receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, uniform service, veteran status, age, or any other protected characteristic per federal, state, or local law. If you are passionate about what you do and want to use your talents to support our critical mission, we’d love to hear from you.