Staff Product Manager - Hardware
What We Do
Gecko Robotics is helping the world’s most important organizations ensure the availability, reliability, and sustainability of critical infrastructure. Gecko's complete and connected solutions combine wall-climbing robots, industry-leading sensors, and an AI-powered data platform to provide customers with a unique window into the current and future health of their physical assets. This enables real-time decision making to increase the efficiency and safety of operations, promote mission readiness, and protect the environment and civilization from the effects of infrastructure failure.
Role at a Glance
Be the first PM hire for Gecko’s Pittsburgh-based Robotics organization, building hardware-software systems that transform the management of our civilization’s critical infrastructure. You’ll work across engineering, design, and operations to envision and deliver impactful solutions while defining what product management means for Robotics at Gecko.
What you will do
You’ll build a variety of hardware-software systems that bridge atoms to bits to create a high-fidelity picture of the state of physical infrastructure. You’ll work on robotic vehicles, sensor payloads, and the software required to control these systems and process the data they collect. You’ll engage with engineering and business partners, ranging from salespeople to operators/inspectors to subject matter experts, to set a clear vision for “what to build and why” at varied zoom levels and timescales. You’ll work hands-on alongside engineers to execute in the details and deliver excellent solutions that create meaningful value for Gecko’s customers and business.
You’ll work with both internal and external users - internal operators (robot drivers and industry experts) deploying our robots, external customers relying on Gecko’s robotically-acquired data (e.g. engineers charged with maintaining critical infrastructure), and forward-deployed engineering teams using Gecko’s robotics platform to experiment with novel asset types and damage mechanisms. You’ll also collaborate with the teams building Cantilever, Gecko’s software platform that enables analysis of our data to make better maintenance and capital allocation decisions. You’ll travel frequently to understand operational workflows and the physical environments where we deploy our robots.
- 4-6 years in product management or similar builder roles influencing engineering teams
- Track record of delivering new product with significant business impact, ideally in the enterprise context, ideally against ambiguous problem definitions with clear metrics
- Excellent at envisioning & communicating product goals at varied zoom levels and timescales, decomposing clear long-range vision into small tactical deliverables that deliver value fast.
- Ability to assess market and competition to develop data-driven justification for product investments.
- Ability to rapidly learn a technically complex domain from subject matter experts and describe feature-level problems with sufficient clarity for engineers to design the right solutions.
- Experience building hardware products operating in industrial environments, plus (ideally) robotic systems operating in regulated environments
- Technical enough to answer one’s own questions and file rich bugs, e.g. analyze data with Python/Jupyter and use a cli to dig into logs in a *nix environment.
- Comfort managing (via influence) multiple complex projects with diverse stakeholders.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills to rapidly align stakeholders on new ideas
- Eager to get in the field and operationally close to the customer’s environment to ensure our solutions work in the real world
- Enthusiasm to operate in a fast-moving and fluid startup environment
Who We Are
At Gecko, our people are our greatest investment. In addition to competitive compensation packages, we offer company equity, 401(k) matching, gender-neutral parental leave, full medical, dental, and vision insurance, mental health and wellness support, ongoing professional development, family planning assistance, and flexible paid time off.
We believe that we do our best work when we’re together in person, and we’re committed to creating a culture of collaboration, innovation, and partnership. We ask our employees to be in the office 3 to 5 days per week, depending on the location and role. Our in-office benefits vary by location, but include catered lunch or lunch stipends, fully stocked kitchens, frequent employee events, and more.
Gecko is committed to creating a culture of inclusion and belonging, and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We believe it is our collective responsibility to uphold these values and encourage candidates from all backgrounds to join us in our mission to protect today’s infrastructure and give form to tomorrow’s. All qualified applicants will be treated with respect and receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, uniform service, veteran status, age, or any other protected characteristic per federal, state, or local law. If you are passionate about what you do and want to use your talents to support our critical mission, we’d love to hear from you.