Software Engineer - Developer Experience
Posted on Sunday, April 2, 2023
Who we are:
Want to make an impact? Join our pack and come work (and play!) with us.
We believe everyone deserves the unconditional love of a pet—and at Rover, our mission is to make it easier to experience that love. Founded in 2011, the Rover app and website connect dog and cat parents with loving pet sitters and dog walkers in neighborhoods across the US, Canada, and Europe. We empower our community of trusted pet sitters and dog walkers to run their own pet care businesses on Rover with the tools and security of a global company to back them.
Headquartered in Seattle, Washington, we work closely with our teams in Barcelona, London, San Antonio, Spokane and remote locations. We’ve got a reputation for being a great place to work, having been named among the 100 Best Companies to Work For in Seattle Business Magazine and Washington’s Best Workplaces in the Puget Sound Business Journal. We're an agile, fast-growing company, and our leadership comes from some of the world's most respected tech companies.
At Rover, our furry coworkers are just as important as our human ones—and we wouldn’t have it any other way. Along with making the joys of pet parenthood more accessible, we’re committed to fostering a diverse, inclusive, and welcoming community of pet people—and that starts with our employees.
Meet the Developer Experience team:
The Developer Experience team at Rover builds tools for the broader engineering organization. Our vision is to create the tools that make Rover an amazing place for engineers to ship code - to have a suite of tools and services that make it a dream to set up an environment, code, test, review, and deploy high quality software in record time. We strive to evolve our CI tools, optimize the development environment, and provide better real-time feedback to engineers throughout the development lifecycle. Developer Experience is a small team that partners closely with Rover’s Cloud Infrastructure team and is co-located across Barcelona and the US.
Some of the initiatives the team is driving include:
Cloud development environment adoption: Over the past year, Rover has been adopting GitHub Codespaces as our cloud development environment, moving away from local development as the default. This move standardizes development environments and gives us a single platform to build SDLC efficiencies upon. To get to full organization adoption, enhancements and additional features are required as well as responding to engineer feedback.
CI/CD pipeline refactor: Rover has a complex, multistage integration and deployment pipeline to support a monolith python application and dozens of engineers pushing dozens of changes each day. CI and CD previously were owned and built as separate but interrelated components, now there’s a growing need to streamline the system, both at the architecture level as well as the individual step level.
Developer productivity enhancements: Across the development environment, CLI tools, test frameworks, staging environments, and deployment feedback we’ve identified a roadmap of large improvements and incremental enhancements to continually make Rover a better and better place to ship code.
We’re looking for engineers who:
We’re looking for a software engineer to join Developer Experience to help accelerate our goals around improving the happiness and efficiency of Rover’s software development community. This role will increase our support of Rover’s EU-based and US-based engineers. The ideal candidate understands and empathizes with their engineering peers and is passionate about removing large pain points, papercuts, and frictions within the software development lifecycle. We work in a wide array of technologies, candidates may have an area of expertise but can contribute and ramp up quickly in many technologies and should be comfortable working across a breadth of technologies. You’re a great teammate that can drive and deliver projects in line with Rover’s Core Values. We don’t view anything here as a rigid requirement. Instead here are some ideas of the backgrounds we’re interested in…
- Are passionate about building phenomenal tools for other engineers
- Enjoy seeing their own efforts have an outsized impact on the business and our customers
- Are eager to learn and improve their craft as a software engineer
- Are excited to learn new technologies and contribute across the stack
- Can take data and anecdotes, work with others to figure out what needs to be done, and drive a project forward
- Passionate about automated testing, code quality, and engineering standards.
- 3+ years experience as a professional software developer
- Experienced and comfortable with developer tooling technologies (i.e. things like bash, git, Docker)
- Experienced using (and ideally configuring) build, test, and deploy technologies (unit test orchestration, GitHub Actions, Jenkins, AWS cloud services, etc.)
- Familiar with agile, scrum, and software development lifecycle best practices and industry trends
- Comfortable working with peers to make hard tradeoff decisions that impact other teams’ workflows
- Plus: experience with Django
- We are proud to be professional software developers building high quality, scalable, supportable solutions.
- We are curious and passionate about learning, providing the right environment and resources for professional growth.
- We are committed to building, fostering and maintaining a culture of inclusivity and diversity both on our teams and in our products.
- We embrace progressive engineering practices including a continuous deployment pipeline, automated testing and deployment.
- We are serious about the quality of our production operation, and have thorough system, application and user interaction monitoring and anomaly detection.
- We are passionate about data driven decision-making.
- Our teams are integrated teams with developers, product managers, designers and data scientists working side-by-side.
- And, dogs in the office. Bring yours, too!
Benefits of Working at Rover.com
- Competitive compensation (salary and equity)
- Permanent contract
- Private health insurance
- Gym allowance
- Bring your dog to work (and unlimited puppy time)
- Monetary help for adopting a dog plus yearly credit to use on our platform
- Flexible work hours, sometimes you’ll need to be in at certain times, but on the whole, we’re pretty flexible when it comes to managing workload and time
- Grab snacks, fresh fruit, in our kitchen to keep yourself going.
- Regular team activities, including happy hours, game nights, and more.
Rover is an equal opportunity employer committed to promoting a diverse, inclusive and inventive environment with the best employees. We’re driven by seeing our people succeed and grow, and we work to ensure everyone contributes to their fullest potential. We consider all qualified applicants without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, protected veteran status, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable laws, regulations and ordinances.
We are committed to work with you to look for reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
See more open positions at Rover
Something looks off?