Senior Aerospace Engineer -Mass Properties (R2253)
Dallas, TX, USA
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2023
Introduction to Shield AI
Founded in 2015, Shield AI is a venture-backed defense technology company whose mission is to protect service members and civilians with intelligent systems. In pursuit of this mission, Shield AI is building the world’s best AI pilot. Its AI pilot, Hivemind, has flown a fighter jet (F-16), a vertical takeoff and landing drone (V-BAT), and a quadcopter (Nova). The company has offices in San Diego, Dallas, Washington DC and abroad. Shield AI’s products and people are currently in the field actively supporting operations with the U.S. Department of Defense and U.S. allies.
Are you a passionate and innovative engineer looking to help develop state of the art AI and VTOL aircraft? Are you eager to make a positive difference in the world? Do you want to work alongside mission driven and values focused teammates? Shield AI is just the place for you!
As a Mass Properties Engineer you will play a pivotal role in establishing and enhancing our Mass Properties tracking and analysis capabilities for VBAT. As a key member of our team, you will be instrumental in developing and monitoring the aircraft's mass properties throughout its lifecycle, facilitating critical tasks such as loads development, structural analysis, aircraft performance trade studies, cost analysis, and beyond. Your expertise in Mass Properties analysis and control during various stages of design, development, and certification will be crucial to the future success of our aircraft systems.
What you will do:
- Lead and participate in system-level trades to meet design requirements, including payload, power, propulsion, thermal, communications, and attitude control.
- Conduct advanced design weight estimation for proposals, prototyping, and trade studies.
- Estimate, calculate, and verify mass properties for components, assemblies, and completed systems.
- Develop analysis methods and tools for mass properties estimation.
- Generate and maintain mass properties reports for cross-functional teams.
- Implement test plans to verify mass properties (weight, center of gravity, inertia).
- Manage and update mass properties database.
- B.S. in aerospace engineering, mechanical engineering, material science/engineering, or related field.
- 5+ years’ experience as a mass properties engineer in an aerospace organization.
- Proficiency in with CAD software (SolidWorks, Siemens NX, etc)
- Familiarity with ATA100, SAWE RP A-7, RP 7 and RP 8 or predecessors
- Experience with Mass Properties requirements definition
- Experience developing and maintaining a Mass Properties Management and Control Plan
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- A demonstrated record of working hard, being a trustworthy teammate, holding yourself and others to high standards, and being kind to others
- Aircraft Weight and Balance Certification
Total package details:
Regular employee positions: Salary within range listed above + Bonus + Benefits + Equity (if applicable)
Temporary employee positions: Hourly within range listed above + temporary benefits package (applicable after 60 days of employment)
*Interns/Military Fellows/Part-time not eligible for bonus, benefits or equity
Actual compensation is influenced by a wide array of factors including but not limited to skill set, level of experience, licenses and certifications, and specific work location. All offers are contingent on a cleared background check.
If you're interested in being part of our team, apply now!
Shield AI is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.