Staff Mechanical Design Engineer (R2296)
Dallas, TX, USA
Posted on Monday, September 25, 2023
Introduction to Shield AI
Founded in 2015, Shield AI is a venture-backed defense technology company whose mission is to protect service members and civilians with intelligent systems. In pursuit of this mission, Shield AI is building the world’s best AI pilot. Its AI pilot, Hivemind, has flown a fighter jet (F-16), a vertical takeoff and landing drone (V-BAT), and a quadcopter (Nova). The company has offices in San Diego, Dallas, Washington DC and abroad. Shield AI’s products and people are currently in the field actively supporting operations with the U.S. Department of Defense and U.S. allies.
Are you a passionate and innovative product design engineer looking to help develop state of the art AI and robotics products? Are you eager to make a positive difference in the world? Do you want to work alongside mission driven and values focused teammates? Shield AI is just the place for you!
As a Staff Engineer -Mechanical you will be responsible for leading the mechanical design
and development of Shield AI's autonomous UAV products. You will follow a rigorous design process, as you innovate, prototype, test, and release creative design solutions. You will lead cross-functional teams to ensure the successful development and launch of new products. You will be expected to exemplify technical excellence and be accountable for your work. You will collaborate closely with internal and/or external partners using best practices to prototype, test, and release products to production.
What you'll do:
- Mechanical architecture, design and execution of vehicle systems.
- Rapidly design, prototype, and test to validate the robustness and proper performance of designs.
- Perform analysis on designs including hand calculations, CAD, and FEA.
- Hold design reviews and be able to demonstrate decisions based on sound engineering.
- Lead cross-functional teams to ensure the successful development and launch of new products.
- Hands on involvement in engineering and pre-production product builds.
- Exemplify technical excellence and set the standard for work. Lead by example.
- B.S. degree in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, or equivalent
- Minimum 7 years of relevant experience in mechanical or electro-mechanical product development
- Subject Matter Expertise in multiple areas of Mechanical Engineering design
- Experience with carbon fiber composite design and manufacturing a plus
- CAD modeling experience
- Working knowledge of FEA principles
- Proficient at tolerance analysis, ANSI drawing standards, and common inspection equipment and methodology
- Familiarity with common manufacturing processes
- Brought multiple products from concept to mass production as mechanical lead
- A demonstrated record of working hard, being a trustworthy teammate, holding yourself and others to high standards, and being kind to others
Total package details:
Regular employee positions: Salary within range listed above + Bonus + Benefits + Equity (if applicable)
Temporary employee positions: Hourly within range listed above + temporary benefits package (applicable after 60 days of employment)
*Interns/Military Fellows/Part-time not eligible for bonus, benefits or equity
Actual compensation is influenced by a wide array of factors including but not limited to skill set, level of experience, licenses and certifications, and specific work location. All offers are contingent on a cleared background check.
If you're interested in being part of our team, apply now!
Shield AI is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.