Senior Staff Software Engineer, State Estimation (R2415)
San Diego, CA, USA · San Diego, CA, USA · Oregon, USA
Posted on Friday, December 22, 2023
Introduction to Shield AI
Founded in 2015, Shield AI is a venture-backed defense technology company whose mission is to protect service members and civilians with intelligent systems. In pursuit of this mission, Shield AI is building the world’s best AI pilot. Its AI pilot, Hivemind, has flown a fighter jet (F-16), a vertical takeoff and landing drone (V-BAT), and a quadcopter (Nova). The company has offices in San Diego, Dallas, Washington DC and abroad. Shield AI’s products and people are currently in the field actively supporting operations with the U.S. Department of Defense and U.S. allies.
As a member of the State Estimation team, you will conduct software development at the intersection of classical state estimation techniques, sensor fusion, artificial intelligence, machine learning, and machine perception. You will develop cutting-edge technology that provides robust and accurate estimates of vehicle pose and surroundings at all times in virtually any environment by fusing sensor data from noisy disparate sources.
What you'll do:
- Research and develop world-class state estimation algorithms and techniques
- Write production quality software in C++
- Write test code to validate your software
- Collaborate with hardware and test teams to validate your algorithms/code on aerial robots
- Write analyzers to ingest data and produce statistics to validate code quality
- Enhance sensor models within a state-of-the-art simulation environment
- Work in a fast-paced, collaborative, continuous development environment, enhancing analysis and benchmarking capabilities
- M.S. in Aerospace Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Robotics, Computer Science or related quantitative science with 7+ years of professional experience in state estimation, perception, or similar robotics field
- Proficient with sensor fusion for noisy high-bandwidth exteroceptive sensors on compute-constrained systems
- Experience prototyping a feature in a high-level language like Python/MATLAB and transitioning it to production code
- A solid foundation in theory related to controls, state estimation, probabilistic robotics, computer vision, and signal processing
- Solid experience working in a collaborative development environment including continuous integration and delivery
- A demonstrated record of working hard, being a trustworthy teammate, holding yourself and others to high standards, and being kind to others
- Familiarity with high-fidelity simulation and sensor modeling
- Shipped production grade code for an aerial platform
Total package details:
Regular employee positions: Salary within range listed above + Bonus + Benefits + Equity (if applicable)
Temporary employee positions: Hourly within range listed above + temporary benefits package (applicable after 60 days of employment)
*Interns/Military Fellows/Part-time not eligible for bonus, benefits or equity
Actual compensation is influenced by a wide array of factors including but not limited to skill set, level of experience, licenses and certifications, and specific work location. All offers are contingent on a cleared background check.
If you're interested in being part of our team, apply now!
Shield AI is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.