Staff Engineer, Robotics Integration (R2430)
San Diego, CA, USA · San Diego, CA, USA · Oregon, USA
Posted on Friday, January 5, 2024
Introduction to Shield AI
Founded in 2015, Shield AI is a venture-backed defense technology company whose mission is to protect service members and civilians with intelligent systems. In pursuit of this mission, Shield AI is building the world’s best AI pilot. Its AI pilot, Hivemind, has flown a fighter jet (F-16), a vertical takeoff and landing drone (V-BAT), and a quadcopter (Nova). The company has offices in San Diego, Dallas, Washington DC and abroad. Shield AI’s products and people are currently in the field actively supporting operations with the U.S. Department of Defense and U.S. allies.
Are you a passionate and innovative engineer looking to help develop state-of-the-art AI and robotics products? Are you eager to make a positive difference in the world? Do you want to work alongside mission driven and values focused teammates? Shield AI is just the place for you!
The Hivemind Test department (HMT) is a group of teams on mission to build a complete and robust testing infrastructure that supports the development and integration of the world’s best AI pilot, in multiple forms, on various vehicles. Hivemind Test is dedicated to ensuring the highest level of quality, reliability, and performance in our Hivemind product ecosystem. This ecosystem includes software systems for autonomy behaviors, ground-control systems, multi-network communications, operating systems, embedded devices, and more. Our group is charged with validating and verifying the entire Hivemind software ecosystem meets reliability standards and is operationally ready to meet mission objectives. This is achieved via a cross-functional team, with skills ranging from autonomy system engineering, robotics integration, software development, test engineering, and quality-assurance.
Our Autonomy Test team is looking for a Robotics Integration Engineer who will be instrumental in developing, testing, and refining software built for autonomous flight behaviors, sensor/payload integration, and simulated mission verification. As a Robotic Integration Engineer, you will be working across the engineering organization to design and facilitate the integration and testing of a broad spectrum of algorithms across a range of platforms.
What You'll Do:
- Contribute to research, design, and implementation of state-of-the-art autonomy algorithms: integrating components to build new capabilities and verifying autonomy behaviors required for mission operations
- Ensure that all Hivemind Edge components integrate work smoothly together across simulation, HIL test-rigs and vehicle platforms
- Develop performance-benchmarks for autonomous flight behaviors; build tools to measure and report these benchmarks across integrated Hivemind products
- Work with our Hivemind Design team to design and build training factories (test & analysis loops) that support local development and scale into the cloud
- Work with various embedded compute units and soft and hard real-time operating systems, commonly for communication devices, sensors, or flight control systems
- Work in collaboration with our DevOps teams to architect and maintain our cloud infrastructure for testing and simulation. Working with containerization technologies such as Docker and Kubernetes; assist with cross-platform builds and test orchestration, working with build tools (e.g. CMake, Bazel, etc.) and compiler tool chains (e.g. gcc, llvm, etc.)
This candidate will:
- Develop, mature, and test software for autonomous systems
- Design simulation test scenarios and implement relative testing capabilities
- Integrate autonomy software on hardware and simulated platforms, create
- integration tests
- Work with functional teams to ensure interfaces are implemented and meeting specifications
- Contribute to the documentation of our systems and workflows
- Research state-of-the-art and innovative approaches to testing autonomy software used for flight
Projects you might work on:
- Create an integration test plan for the addition of a new sensor to a platform
- Serve as a test-lead for a new integrated-product, assure all product-components are verified and write software to support solution integration and testing
- Auto software-history bisection with hardware in the loop: Design an analyzer with binary output to determine performance criterion pass/fail. Run as part of a bisection-search over a history of software commits, automatically executing software in simulation and/or on hardware components to determine the introduction of specific behavior.
- Facilitate the use of our Hivemind software stack on a new prototype platform
- Leverage your knowledge of our software and platforms to work on an R&D effort proving out future capabilities
- Typically requires a minimum of 7 years of related experience with a Bachelor’s degree; or 6 years and a Master’s degree; or 4 years with a PhD; or equivalent work experience.
- We are looking for at least 3 years of real-world experience developing or testing autonomous software or robotics products
- Demonstrated expertise and competencies in developing software and/or designing test cases for AI products, robotics systems, or aircraft software
- Proficiency in C++, Python, and industry-standard software development tools and practices (Git, SCRUM, etc)
- Track record of excellence in leading technical projects, explicitly or implicitly. Ideally playing roles as a test-lead or lead developer
- Great analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent communication skills, capable of collaborating effectively across various teams and presenting to customers or technical leadership
- Experience in aerospace, automotive, or AI/robotics industries: exhibiting ability to work with complex systems and adhere to stringent technical standards and/or regulations
- Subject matter expert in industry-leading research for testing AI behaviors and autonomy systems
- Demonstrated ability to lead projects, manage resources, and drive problem-resolution
Total package details:
Regular employee positions: Salary within range listed above + Bonus + Benefits + Equity (if applicable)
Temporary employee positions: Hourly within range listed above + temporary benefits package (applicable after 60 days of employment)
*Interns/Military Fellows/Part-time not eligible for bonus, benefits or equity
Actual compensation is influenced by a wide array of factors including but not limited to skill set, level of experience, licenses and certifications, and specific work location. All offers are contingent on a cleared background check.
If you're interested in being part of our team, apply now!
Shield AI is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.