Manager, Government Compliance (R2392)
San Diego, CA, USA · San Diego, CA, USA · Oregon, USA
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2024
Introduction to Shield AI
Founded in 2015, Shield AI is a venture-backed defense technology company whose mission is to protect service members and civilians with intelligent systems. In pursuit of this mission, Shield AI is building the world’s best AI pilot. Its AI pilot, Hivemind, has flown a fighter jet (F-16), a vertical takeoff and landing drone (V-BAT), and a quadcopter (Nova). The company has offices in San Diego, Dallas, Washington DC and abroad. Shield AI’s products and people are currently in the field actively supporting operations with the U.S. Department of Defense and U.S. allies.
This role requires strong knowledge of and experience with Cost Accounting Standards (CAS) / Federal Acquisition Regulations (FAR) / Defense Federal Acquisition Regulation Supplement (DFARS) / U.S. Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (U.S. GAAP), extensive organizational skills, and the ability to prepare deliverables within deadlines.
You will report to the Senior Manager, Government Compliance and will serve as a trusted business partner with internal customers. In addition, you will be afforded the opportunity to grow your career in our growing Compliance and/or Legal team.
What you'll do:
- Support the Government Compliance group and work under the supervision of the Senior Government Compliance Manager
- Provide subject matter expertise on Federal Acquisition Regulations (FAR/DFARS), US Government Cost Accounting Standards (CAS), and other business systems requirements to ensure business practices, procedures, and related internal controls are compliant with Federal laws and regulations.
- Manage a direct report and ad hoc teams in all government accounting compliance aspects.
- Support cost accounting and compliance aspects related to new acquisitions, development of new business systems (e.g. Purchasing/CPSR, Estimating, Accounting, Property), changes in government regulations and company policies.
- Lead the preparation of the government-required submissions, including annual Incurred Cost Submissions, provisional billing rates (PBR), CASB Disclosure Statements, and cost impact analysis when applicable.
- Providing government accounting and compliance advisory services to other teams.
- Monitor new and revised regulations and other changes to government accounting principles and practices. Advise management on potential effects of new or revised policies and practices and prepare a cost impact when applicable. Update government accounting practices to align with the updated regulatory requirements.
- Monitor and report on internal control gaps and associated corrective action plans.
- Interface with Government auditors on accounting matters and serve as primary point of contact for DCAA and DCMA audits and inquiry matters. Drafts and coordinates review of responses to Government requests and maintain adequate records to support Government audits and fact finding.
- Assist in developing and delivering training programs to assure that company personnel have the job knowledge to fulfill obligations imposed by Government/contracts accounting and business system requirements.
- Lead internal compliance monitoring activities for labor/time reporting, purchase existence and consumption, GAAP and SOX requirements, and other processes as needed.
- Ensures SOX requirements are appropriately addressed in standards and procedures.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance from an accredited institution.
- At least 5 years of previous related government accounting experience (prior DCAA and/or experience at DoD contractor).
- In-depth knowledge of the Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR), Defense Federal Acquisition Regulation Supplement (DFARS), and Cost Accounting Standards (CAS).
- Experience in developing incurred cost submissions and CAS Disclosure Statements.
- Experience working with the DCAA and DCMA.
- Experience developing and training employees in government contracting matters.
- Strong business partnership skills.
- MBA and/or Certified Public Accountant (CPA) with public accounting experience.
- Working knowledge of GAAP, SOX
Total package details:
Regular employee positions: Salary within range listed above + Bonus + Benefits + Equity (if applicable)
Temporary employee positions: Hourly within range listed above + temporary benefits package (applicable after 60 days of employment)
*Interns/Military Fellows/Part-time not eligible for bonus, benefits or equity
Actual compensation is influenced by a wide array of factors including but not limited to skill set, level of experience, licenses and certifications, and specific work location. All offers are contingent on a cleared background check.
If you're interested in being part of our team, apply now!
Shield AI is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.