Staff Mechanical Test Engineer (R2477)
Dallas County, TX, USA
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2024
Introduction to Shield AI
Founded in 2015, Shield AI is a venture-backed defense technology company whose mission is to protect service members and civilians with intelligent systems. In pursuit of this mission, Shield AI is building the world’s best AI pilot. Its AI pilot, Hivemind, has flown a fighter jet (F-16), a vertical takeoff and landing drone (V-BAT), and a quadcopter (Nova). The company has offices in San Diego, Dallas, Washington DC and abroad. Shield AI’s products and people are currently in the field actively supporting operations with the U.S. Department of Defense and U.S. allies.
Do you enjoy working in a dynamic lab environment and being part of a design team that will impact the safety of service members and civilians? If so, we want your help designing the next generation of products at Shield AI. The Mechanical Test team’s mission is to inform Shield AI hardware design by quantifying product performance and experience with custom measurement tools, and specialized analysis.
We are looking for candidates that are passionate about engineering principles, curious about how things work, and are excited to grow and learn. You will be part of a collaborative team of multi-functional partners focused on the design performance of our products and ultimately the customer experience. Excellent communication skills coupled with an enthusiastic, respectful, and open-minded approach to solving, debating and brainstorming are welcomed. Success in this role will require creativity, organization, and energy tempered by a sincere willingness to listen, learn, and understand what is needed from your designs.
What you'll do:
- Apply a mix of technical and creative problem-solving skills to quickly design and build instrumented test and measurement systems. Supporting manual and automated data collection and analysis.
- Using measurement science and engineering analysis, gain an understanding of the static/dynamic inputs and system responses that drive design performance.
- Establish trust-based relationships with mechanical design teams and apply your expertise to help them quickly identify the best design path.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Typically requires a minimum of 7 years of related experience with a bachelor’s degree; or 6 years and a master’s degree; or 4 years with a PhD; or equivalent work experience.
- Familiarity with a wide variety of sensor technologies, data acquisition systems, and fundamental analog/digital signal processing techniques.
- Experience in the use or design of test/measurement systems.
- Experience in applying engineering first principles to evaluate the performance of designs.
- Experience gathering and analyzing data with Python, LabVIEW, Arduino, JMP or similar.
- Experience using CAD and basic lab tools to enable the design and fabrication of test fixtures and measurement systems.
- Understanding how to apply statistics to ensure the proper interpretation of your data.
- Self-motivated to investigate and solve difficult problems.
- Flexibility and adaptability while working in a fast-paced and changing environment.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to clearly articulate issues quantitatively both verbally and with documentation.
- Experience working in a multi-functional team / highly collaborative environment.
Total package details:
Regular employee positions: Salary within range listed above + Bonus + Benefits + Equity (if applicable)
Temporary employee positions: Hourly within range listed above + temporary benefits package (applicable after 60 days of employment)
*Interns/Military Fellows/Part-time not eligible for bonus, benefits or equity
Actual compensation is influenced by a wide array of factors including but not limited to skill set, level of experience, licenses and certifications, and specific work location. All offers are contingent on a cleared background check.
If you're interested in being part of our team, apply now!
Shield AI is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.