Embedded Avionics Software Engineer (R2264)
Dallas County, TX, USA
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2024
Introduction to Shield AI
Founded in 2015, Shield AI is a venture-backed defense technology company whose mission is to protect service members and civilians with intelligent systems. In pursuit of this mission, Shield AI is building the world’s best AI pilot. Its AI pilot, Hivemind, has flown a fighter jet (F-16), a vertical takeoff and landing drone (V-BAT), and a quadcopter (Nova). The company has offices in San Diego, Dallas, Washington DC and abroad. Shield AI’s products and people are currently in the field actively supporting operations with the U.S. Department of Defense and U.S. allies.
Are you a passionate and innovative engineer looking to help develop state of the art robots and AI products? Are you eager to make a positive difference in the world? Do you want to work alongside mission-driven and values focused teammates? Shield AI is just the place for you!
The Embedded Software team is a motivated group of engineers focused on developing the software that merges hardware, operating systems and applications for cutting-edge Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAV). Embedded Software engineers work with electrical engineers, systems engineers, and the autonomy team to design and develop custom PCB’s and systems which support modern aerospace sensors, state-of-the-art UAV avionics, and groundbreaking Artificial Intelligence applications.
As a member of the Embedded Software team, you will be responsible for software bring up on custom electronic boards and systems, integration of new operating systems and writing of drivers for a variety of sensors and interfaces, designing and developing applications to provide flight control, navigation, vehicle health, and AI driven autonomous control of various autonomous robotic vehicles.
What you'll do:
- Bring up new robotic platforms and related systems
- Write and modify kernel drivers for soft or hard real-time operating systems
- Develop bare-metal firmware for controlling flight critical components
- Create software for system diagnostics and testing
- Work with and modify internal software build systems
- Research, design, and implement state-of-the-art network centric software applications, taking ideas from conception to field deployment
Projects that you might work on:
- Refine repository of avionics software to support new hardware, features, and capabilities
- Integrate new operating system onto custom System-On-a-Module (SOM)
- Integrate 3rd party software onto existing multi-CPU and high-performance GPU hardware system
- Develop software and firmware to control robotic vehicles
- Integrate Shield AI Hivemind onto robotic vehicles
- Convert legacy bare-metal software to a RTOS based system
- Create new CI/CD pipelines with automated testing for embedded systems
- 4+ years of professional avionics software development experience
- Bachelors in CS, CE, EE, or requisite experience
- Strong C/C++ background a must
- Linux Kernel or RTOS development - device trees and bring up on new hardware
- Familiarity with writing thread-safe multi-threaded programs
- Familiarity with common debugging and profiling tools (e.g. gdb, valgrind, etc.)
- Familiarity with git, bash, Python
- Experience in a collaborative development environment, focused on continuous integration/delivery & test-driven development
- Demonstrated record of working hard, strong communication skills, being a trustworthy teammate, and being kind to others
Total package details:
Regular employee positions: Salary within range listed above + Bonus + Benefits + Equity (if applicable)
Temporary employee positions: Hourly within range listed above + temporary benefits package (applicable after 60 days of employment)
*Interns/Military Fellows/Part-time not eligible for bonus, benefits or equity
Actual compensation is influenced by a wide array of factors including but not limited to skill set, level of experience, licenses and certifications, and specific work location. All offers are contingent on a cleared background check.
If you're interested in being part of our team, apply now!
Shield AI is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.