Senior Engineer, Sensing & Mapping (R2425)
San Diego, CA, USA · San Diego, CA, USA · Oregon, USA
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2024
Introduction to Shield AI
Founded in 2015, Shield AI is a venture-backed defense technology company whose mission is to protect service members and civilians with intelligent systems. In pursuit of this mission, Shield AI is building the world’s best AI pilot. Its AI pilot, Hivemind, has flown a fighter jet (F-16), a vertical takeoff and landing drone (V-BAT), and a quadcopter (Nova). The company has offices in San Diego, Dallas, Washington DC and abroad. Shield AI’s products and people are currently in the field actively supporting operations with the U.S. Department of Defense and U.S. allies.
As an engineer on the Sensing and Mapping team, you will be responsible for the generation of high-fidelity, efficient environment representations to enable fast, reliable robot autonomy and effective situational awareness for the user in uncertain, dynamic, and diverse scenarios. You will address challenges arising from multi-agent exploration by developing state of the art mapping solutions. You will work closely with members from the state estimation, planning, and user experience teams to fulfill these requirements.
What You'll Do:
- Design libraries that can be re-used across several projects
- Develop libraries that transform sensor measurements into spatial and semantic graphs representations of the environment for autonomous trajectory planning
- Develop visualization and debugging tools
- Write production quality code in C++
- Write unit tests and drive test driven development
- B.S. in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Mathematics or a related field
- 3+ years industry experience writing software for commercial applications
- Strong C++ and competent Python skills
- Experience in a collaborative development environment, including paradigms such as continuous integration & delivery, test-driven development, etc.
- You have a demonstrated record of working hard, being a trustworthy teammate, holding yourself and others to high standards, and being kind to others
- Experience with ROS
- M.S/Ph.D. degree in related engineering fields
- Implemented a spatial environment representation (ex. occupancy grid, octree, Gaussian Mixture Models) or semantic representation of the environment.
- Experience with graphs and graph planning
- Experience in the self-driving car, UAV or related mobile robotics industry
Total package details:
Regular employee positions: Salary within range listed above + Bonus + Benefits + Equity (if applicable)
Temporary employee positions: Hourly within range listed above + temporary benefits package (applicable after 60 days of employment)
*Interns/Military Fellows/Part-time not eligible for bonus, benefits or equity
Actual compensation is influenced by a wide array of factors including but not limited to skill set, level of experience, licenses and certifications, and specific work location. All offers are contingent on a cleared background check.
If you're interested in being part of our team, apply now!
Shield AI is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.