Principal Engineer, Autonomy Integration (R2482)
Washington, DC, USA
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2024
Introduction to Shield AI
Founded in 2015, Shield AI is a venture-backed defense technology company whose mission is to protect service members and civilians with intelligent systems. In pursuit of this mission, Shield AI is building the world’s best AI pilot. Its AI pilot, Hivemind, has flown a fighter jet (F-16), a vertical takeoff and landing drone (V-BAT), and a quadcopter (Nova). The company has offices in San Diego, Dallas, Washington DC and abroad. Shield AI’s products and people are currently in the field actively supporting operations with the U.S. Department of Defense and U.S. allies.
Are you a passionate, innovative, experienced engineer looking to help develop state-of-the-art AI and robotics products? Are you eager to make a positive difference in the world? Do you want to work alongside mission driven and values focused teammates? Shield AI is just the place for you!
As Chief Engineer for Autonomy Integration you will design and oversee execution against various complex autonomy programs for the DoD. In this role, you will collaborate closely with multiple engineering disciplines including software, systems, test, mechanical, and electrical engineering to establish system level architectures and make technical decisions to execute programs. In this specific role you will drive cross-functional product integration activities applying autonomy and AI on Group 3 and Group 5 UAS.
As a Chief Engineer, you will:
- Drive the application of autonomy algorithms to both internal and third-party fixed-wing UAS platforms.
- Architect appropriate autonomy interfaces to lower-level flight controllers and ground control stations
- Help define, scope, and manage technical requirements to meet program objectives.
- Lead integration development between software, autonomy, embedded, and hardware teams.
- Manage product architecture, ICD and other system level design documentation.
- Be a customer facing engineering lead to support government funded development programs
- Contribute to government contract proposal writing
You will also be responsible for:
- Aligning technical approaches with long-term roadmaps
- Defining and executing the technical approach to large programs
- Defining systems engineering and test engineering infrastructure as needed to support development efforts
- Typically requires a minimum of 15 years of related experience with a Bachelor’s degree; or 14 years and a Master’s degree; or a PhD with 12 years experience; or equivalent experience in Project Engineering, Systems Engineering, or equivalent engineering roles
- 3+ years of leadership experience
- Strong experience with C++ in a production environment
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- You are organized and methodical
- You have a demonstrated record of working hard, being a trustworthy teammate, holding yourself and others to high standards, and being kind to others
- 5+ years of experience integrating software on Group 3 or 5 UAS
- 3+ years of experience with autonomous systems
Total package details:
Regular employee positions: Salary within range listed above + Bonus + Benefits + Equity (if applicable)
Temporary employee positions: Hourly within range listed above + temporary benefits package (applicable after 60 days of employment)
*Interns/Military Fellows/Part-time not eligible for bonus, benefits or equity
Actual compensation is influenced by a wide array of factors including but not limited to skill set, level of experience, licenses and certifications, and specific work location. All offers are contingent on a cleared background check.
If you're interested in being part of our team, apply now!
Shield AI is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.