Senior Staff Engineer, Autonomy (R2464)
Washington, DC, USA
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2024
Introduction to Shield AI
Founded in 2015, Shield AI is a venture-backed defense technology company whose mission is to protect service members and civilians with intelligent systems. In pursuit of this mission, Shield AI is building the world’s best AI pilot. Its AI pilot, Hivemind, has flown a fighter jet (F-16), a vertical takeoff and landing drone (V-BAT), and a quadcopter (Nova). The company has offices in San Diego, Dallas, Washington DC and abroad. Shield AI’s products and people are currently in the field actively supporting operations with the U.S. Department of Defense and U.S. allies.
This position is perfect for an individual who enjoys solving the most complex problems across a portfolio of diverse domains and modalities. An ideal candidate is expected to apply classical autonomous techniques, algorithms, and theory to various platforms in multiple tactical scenarios. These solutions are expected to be integrated into real-world problems with near-term program impacts and rewards.
Shield AI is looking to continue to push the envelope by teaming traditional autonomous systems algorithms and deep reinforcement learning-based solutions to create an unmatched capability and speed to deployment technology base.
What You'll Do:
- As an Autonomy Engineer on this team, you will lead teams at the intersection of artificial intelligence, task & motion planning, and controls.
- You will work closely with talented engineers to architect solutions, set standards for software engineering, drive strategic technical improvements, and mentor other engineers.
- Integrate Shield AI autonomy products together with third party systems
- Write autonomous behaviors for varying aircraft platforms (i.e., VTOL and Fixed Wing)
- Work with Subject Matter Experts to understand customer needs and implement appropriate autonomy solutions
- BS/MS in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, and/or similar degree, or equivalent practical experience
- Typically requires a minimum of 10 years of related experience with a Bachelor’s degree; or 9 years and a Master’s degree; or 7 years with a PhD; or equivalent work experience.
- Strong experience with C++ in a production environment
- Significant background in robotics technologies related to sensing, estimation, path planning, and data fusion.
- Proficiency in software development, benchmarking, debugging, and deployment
- 7+ years of experience in Unmanned Systems programs in the DoD or applied R&D
- 2+ years of people leadership experience
- Significant experience with unmanned system technologies and accompanying algorithms (specifically air domain)
- Experience working projects with 10+ contributors
- Offers Fast, efficient, effective problem solving approaches
- Exceptional collaborator and communicator
- Comfortability within Unix environments
- Hard-working, trustworthy teammate
- Exhibits holding themselves and others to high standards
- Being kind to others
- Ability to obtain a SECRET clearance
- Experience in a collaborative development environment, focused on continuous integration/delivery & test-driven development
- Strong knowledge of modern software engineering best practices
- Demonstrated record of working hard, strong communication skills, being a trustworthy teammate, and being kind to others
- Strong organizational skills
- MS or greater in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, and/or similar degree, or equivalent practical experience
- Mathematical background in both linear/nonlinear control theory and autonomous systems technologies/algorithms
- Demonstrated problem solving skills by applying a scientific approach
- Ability to understand, derive, and implement motion models and accompanying controllers for trajectory generation and tracking.
- Active SECRET clearance
Total package details:
Regular employee positions: Salary within range listed above + Bonus + Benefits + Equity (if applicable)
Temporary employee positions: Hourly within range listed above + temporary benefits package (applicable after 60 days of employment)
*Interns/Military Fellows/Part-time not eligible for bonus, benefits or equity
Actual compensation is influenced by a wide array of factors including but not limited to skill set, level of experience, licenses and certifications, and specific work location. All offers are contingent on a cleared background check.
If you're interested in being part of our team, apply now!
Shield AI is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.