Sr Staff Software Engineer, C++ (R2469)
Washington, DC, USA
Posted on Friday, January 26, 2024
Introduction to Shield AI
Founded in 2015, Shield AI is a venture-backed defense technology company whose mission is to protect service members and civilians with intelligent systems. In pursuit of this mission, Shield AI is building the world’s best AI pilot. Its AI pilot, Hivemind, has flown a fighter jet (F-16), a vertical takeoff and landing drone (V-BAT), and a quadcopter (Nova). The company has offices in San Diego, Dallas, Washington DC and abroad. Shield AI’s products and people are currently in the field actively supporting operations with the U.S. Department of Defense and U.S. allies.
This position is perfect for an individual who loves technology, solving complex challenges, wants to develop software for multiple projects, and write code with a motivated, diverse team. Shield AI is pushing the envelope by applying advanced AI solutions to real hardware systems. An ideal candidate should aspire to be a part of this industry-changing team developing and deploying advanced technology that can truly make an impact.
Shield AI is looking to continue to push the envelope by teaming traditional autonomous systems algorithms and deep reinforcement learning-based solutions to create an unmatched capability and speed to deployment technology base.
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
- As a Software Engineer on this team, you will lead teams at the intersection of artificial intelligence, task & motion planning, and controls.
- You will work closely with talented engineers to architect solutions, set standards for software engineering, drive strategic technical improvements, and mentor other engineers.
- Write C++ software to help develop tooling and automated testing for autonomy solutions
- Work with Subject Matter Experts to understand the customer demand and implement software solutions that meet their needs
- Collaborate with Systems and Test engineers to develop fully tested, integrated solutions
- BS/MS in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, and/or similar degree, or equivalent practical experience
- Ability to develop, benchmark, debug, and deploy software-based algorithms
- Demonstrated problem solving skills by applying a scientific approach
- 7+ years of industry experience
- 2+ years of people leadership experience
- Experience working projects with 10+ contributors
- Offers Fast, efficient, effective problem solving approaches
- Exceptional collaborator and communicator
- Comfortability within Unix environments
- Hard-working, trustworthy teammate
- Exhibits holding themselves and others to high standards
- Being kind to others
- The ability to obtain and maintain a US Security Clearance. US citizenship is required as only US citizens are eligible for a security clearance.
- Experience in a collaborative development environment, focused on continuous integration/delivery & test-driven development
- Strong knowledge of modern software engineering best practices
- Demonstrated record of working hard, strong communication skills, being a trustworthy teammate, and being kind to others
- Strong organizational skills
- MS or greater in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, and/or similar degree, or equivalent practical experience
- Understanding of robotics technologies related to autonomous behavior development e.g. task allocation or planning.
- Understanding/Experience with unmanned system technologies and accompanying algorithms (specifically air domain)
- Active SECRET clearance
Total package details:
Regular employee positions: Salary within range listed above + Bonus + Benefits + Equity (if applicable)
Temporary employee positions: Hourly within range listed above + temporary benefits package (applicable after 60 days of employment)
*Interns/Military Fellows/Part-time not eligible for bonus, benefits or equity
Actual compensation is influenced by a wide array of factors including but not limited to skill set, level of experience, licenses and certifications, and specific work location. All offers are contingent on a cleared background check.
If you're interested in being part of our team, apply now!
Shield AI is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.