Software Architect/Systems Engineer (R2497)
Software Engineering, IT
Dallas County, TX, USA
Posted on Wednesday, February 7, 2024
Introduction to Shield AI
Founded in 2015, Shield AI is a venture-backed defense technology company whose mission is to protect service members and civilians with intelligent systems. In pursuit of this mission, Shield AI is building the world’s best AI pilot. Its AI pilot, Hivemind, has flown a fighter jet (F-16), a vertical takeoff and landing drone (V-BAT), and a quadcopter (Nova). The company has offices in San Diego, Dallas, Washington DC and abroad. Shield AI’s products and people are currently in the field actively supporting operations with the U.S. Department of Defense and U.S. allies.
Are you a passionate and innovative engineer looking to help develop state of the art robots and AI products? Are you eager to make a positive difference in the world? Do you want to work alongside mission-driven and values focused teammates? Shield AI is just the place for you!
The VBAT Software team is a motivated group of engineers focused on developing avionics software that merges hardware, operating systems and applications for cutting-edge Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAV). Software engineers work with customer programs, electrical engineers, GNC engineers, systems engineers, test engineers and the autonomy team to design and develop custom PCB’s and software systems which utilize modern aerospace sensors, state-of-the-art UAV avionics, and groundbreaking Artificial Intelligence applications.
As a member of the VBAT Software team, you will develop and maintain software architectures, generate and maintain all levels of software requirements, document and present software designs, coordinate software development, and marshal the entire suite of VBAT software through test and verification, release, and deployment to production and customers.
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
- Define software and integrated software/hardware system requirements
- Facilitate the design process for the software system architecture
- Use the modern tools to document our existing architecture and design future architectures
- Collaborate with SMEs for improved development tooling software and connecting code to system models
- Leading cross-functional teams to create systems of features
- Collaborating to define and extend systems engineering processes
- Engage with product management, program management, mechanical engineering, embedded engineering, business development, and other company leaders
- Report status, risks, accomplishments, expectations to senior leadership
- A minimum of 7 years of related experience with a Bachelor’s degree; or 6 years and a Master’s degree; or 4 years with a PhD; or equivalent work experience.
- B.S. degree in Systems Engineering, Software Engineering, Computer Science or STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, or Mathematics) discipline, such as Aerospace, Mechanical, or Electrical Engineering
- Software development experience in C/C++ and/or Python
- Experience with Systems Engineering practices and principles, including writing, organizing, and verifying requirements
- Experience in reading, interpreting, and applying engineering drawings, including assembly drawings, parts lists, wiring diagrams, and schematics
- Experience working in cross-functional teams
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbally
- Demonstrated record of working hard, being a trustworthy teammate, holding yourself and others to high standards, and being kind to others
- Aerospace or automotive vehicle development experience
- DO-178C/DO-254 development experience
- Robotics, autonomy, or Artificial Intelligence experience
- Safety Critical software development
- Real Time Operating System (RTOS) experience
Total package details:
Regular employee positions: Salary within range listed above + Bonus + Benefits + Equity (if applicable)
Temporary employee positions: Hourly within range listed above + temporary benefits package (applicable after 60 days of employment)
*Interns/Military Fellows/Part-time not eligible for bonus, benefits or equity
Actual compensation is influenced by a wide array of factors including but not limited to skill set, level of experience, licenses and certifications, and specific work location. All offers are contingent on a cleared background check.
If you're interested in being part of our team, apply now!
Shield AI is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.