Senior Staff Site Reliability Engineer, Datastore Infrastructure
Senior Staff Database Reliability Engineer
At Udemy, we’re on a mission to improve lives through the power of learning. We’re a leading global learning company and one of the world’s largest education platforms, with more than 67 million learners. Our goal is to provide flexible, effective skill development to empower organizations and individuals.
Talented people are everywhere, and the right opportunity can be hard to come by. That’s why we’re focused on revolutionizing learning, using our skills and expertise to help others develop theirs and reach their full potential. Individually, we bring our unique perspective to reimagine the way we share knowledge. Together, we can improve lives by making learning more accessible for our learners, our instructors, and businesses around the world.
This hybrid position requires two days per week in our Dublin office.
You’re an analytical problem-solver ready to put your skills toward purposeful work that has a global impact. You want to lead the way in innovation, exploring the latest technologies and finding new solutions. You thrive in a collaborative environment and are eager to work with and learn alongside the best in Product, Design, and Engineering.
About this role
As part of Udemy's SRE Portfolio, the Datastore Infrastructure (DSI) team is responsible for overseeing all aspects of Databases (MySQL, Aurora), Message Queues, Streaming (Kafka), and Caching (Redis, Memcache) in our infrastructure. This includes ensuring uptime, compliance, observability, performance, improving developers' productivity and developing future growth strategies . The team is split between EU and US regions. You will play a vital role in overseeing day-to-day activities and engineering strategies of DSI-EU, ensuring that millions of students worldwide achieve greater learning and career outcomes on Udemy. We value teamwork, a good sense of humor, strong ownership, technological curiosity, and a desire to learn.
To be successful in this role, you will collaborate closely with engineering, product, and a diverse set of stakeholders around the world. You are not just interested in maintaining systems but also writing the software that maintains them. You strongly believe in a no-blame culture and advocate for humane on-call practices. You constantly seek opportunities for improvement and thrive in an environment where you can drive positive change.
What you'll be doing
- Involvement in local projects while collaborating with the DSI-US team on global initiatives.
- Maintain Infrastructure Uptime, monitor performance, and ensure infrastructure continues scaling as we grow.
- Ensure adherence to PCI compliance and SOC 2 security requirements, modifying CI/CD processes when necessary, and upholding policies and standards.
- Advocate for and implement positive changes in tools and processes through healthy discussions.
- Participate in the on-call rotation, demonstrating a systematic approach to incident management.
- Participate in day-to-day activities, support requests, and project-related tasks for the EU team.
- Contribute to documentation, maintain ticketing queues, provide project support, troubleshoot, and offer after-hours assistance as required
What you’ll have
- 7+ years of professional experience working in an SRE/DBRE team with Infrastructure responsibilities in managing large production workloads.
- Proficiency with managing MySQL at scale ( Horizontal Scaling, sharding, InnoDB optimizations,Query Optimization, HA/HR, Monitoring, Backups Strategy, Security, Automations.
- Strong understanding in running Production Workloads in Kubernetes
- Proficiency with tools like Terraform, Ansible, Git and how to work with Infrastructure as Code, and automate provisioning.
- Experience with Message Queues(MQ/SQS) , Streaming (Kafka), and Caching (Redis, Memcache) or similar products
- Experience in Python.
- Knowledge of configuration management tools, monitoring systems for database infrastructure, and scaling strategies for handling increased data volumes.
- Strong troubleshooting skills to diagnose complex database issues.
- Hands-on experience with AWS cloud infrastructure and a grasp of security best practices.
- Adaptability and comfort working in a fast-paced, hands-on environment.
Nice to have
- Experience with any additional Programming Languages (Golang, Kotlin, Java)
- Experience with Vitess Operator running MySQL on Kubernetes.
- Experience with Writing Kubernetes Helm Charts.
- Experience with tools like ArgoCD/Argo Workflows, or similar alternatives in various combinations.
- Knowledge of security standards, vulnerability patching, TLS/SSL and related..
- Any additional experience or familiarity with related technologies would be advantageous.
We understand that not everyone will match each of the above qualifications. However, we also realize that everyone has unique experiences that can add value to our company. Even if you think your background might not perfectly align, we'd love to hear from you!
Life at Udemy
We aspire to be as vibrant and dynamic as the communities we serve, as inquisitive as those who use our platform, and as revolutionary as the future we strive to open for everyone. Here are some of the things we love about life at Udemy:
We’re invested in creating an inclusive environment that welcomes a diverse range of backgrounds and experiences. From creating employee resource groups, ensuring we’re a Fair Pay Workplace, and building a flexible work culture, our belonging, equity, diversity, and inclusion (BEDI) initiatives always put our people first. We want you to be able to bring your authentic self to work because when we all do, we’re better for it.
Learning is what we do – inside and out. Our Learning & Development team is second to none, helping ensure your journey is one of continuous progression. You’ll also have unlimited access to Udemy courses, monthly UDays (meeting-free professional development days), and a generous annual professional development stipend.
Our reason to exist is to revolutionize learning – that calls for taking risks and learning from failures. Whether it’s our hackathons (a company-wide effort to envision new possibilities for our product) or sharing our prototypes, we see experimentation as a crucial step on the path to success.
We’re committed to creating world-class employee experiences and are proud of the recognition of this by Great Place to Work.
Of course, the best thing about being part of Udemy is knowing your work makes a difference for people and organizations around the world. You’ve got the skills; why not use them to help others develop theirs?
At Udemy, we value diversity and inclusion and consider qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital or family status, veteran status, medical condition, or disability.
Our Benefits Start With U
Our benefits package at Udemy “starts with U” and is grounded in mission-driven benefits that intentionally align with our core values. Here’s a sneak peek at just a few highlighted benefits if you’re a full-time Udemate based in the Ireland:
Core Benefits: Comprehensive medical, dental, life and income protection coverage
Parental Benefits: Financial assistance for fertility (including egg-freezing), adoption, and surrogacy expenses; twelve weeks of paid family bonding for birth, surrogacy, adoption, and foster placement. 26 weeks paid maternity leave for birthing parents as well as a two-week “ease-back” program that enables parents to return part-time at full pay
Whole U: Fully paid memberships for meditation/mindfulness, therapy/coaching visits, financial planning, fertility and family building, maternity and newborn care, parenting and pediatrics, menopause care, breastmilk shipping, and caregiving support
Learning: Free access to Udemy and Udemy Business plus a yearly stipend to spend on professional development
Retirement: 6% employer matching Defined Contribution Master Trust
Charitable Giving: Corporate charitable match for eligible nonprofits and charities
Holidays: 25 paid holidays throughout the year plus bank holidays
About our Dublin location
Dublin is where our Europe, Middle East, and Africa (EMEA) headquarters is located, which means it plays a major role in our mission of sharing knowledge and unlocking potential for learners, instructors, and businesses globally. We have a fantastic central Dublin location with a brand new building, purpose-built for us. We’ve invested a lot here and have seen huge growth in the EMEA market – which is why we see Dublin as a key location for the future of Udemy.
We have also been officially certified as a Great Place to Work in Ireland, recognizing our high-trust, high-performance workplace culture. With so many diverse perspectives, languages, and ethnicities coming together here, it’s no surprise that our Dublin office has been thriving.
Information regarding data privacy is available within the Udemy Careers Privacy Notice.